murder/manslaughter/self defence.

cockercas

If he keeps a sawn off in his house..he must lead a life style where he is expecting trouble,

.but fair play to him ,if some f**ker stabbed me in the neck I'd have done the same.... If I had a sawn off , guvner

.but fair play to him ,if some f**ker stabbed me in the neck I'd have done the same.... If I had a sawn off , guvner

It might help your case if you shot the right person though. don't you think?

was the 15yr old who did the stabbing.. but the older man who was shot. bit of a major boo-boo there. (call me old fashioned)

Probably didn't want to shoot a child. So shot someone else posing a threat. As said before they borght a axe/knife/machete with them.

I know he won't press charges about been stabbed but I'm pretty sure he has no say.

It might help your case if you shot the right person though. don't you think?

was the 15yr old who did the stabbing.. but the older man who was shot. bit of a major boo-boo there. (call me old fashioned)

He was with him ..good enough

He was with him ..good enough

Seems likely the jury disagreed and the sentencing judge didn't approve much - either. The average sentence for manslaughter is 4 years. he copped 14.

Manslaughter plus 5 firearms charges.

he admitted to those in a previous hearing.. so it seems highly unlikely they impacted the sentence. and the reporting makes no mention of them in the final sentence of 14 years.

unless he had a stash of handguns. what would he have got for the firearms alone? a fine. loss of license and seizure. probably not prison. even for the sawn off. suspended sentence at worse.

The mandatory minimum sentence is 5 years' imprisonment for an offender aged 21 or over and 5 years' detention in a young offender institute for those aged 18, 19 and 20 at the date of conviction. Offences that attract the minimum sentence are triable only on indictment (Section 288 Criminal Justice Act 2003, which also amends Schedule 6 to the Firearms Act 1968).

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/#a034

I'd get a pic of the condition on my licence but it's gone for renewal.

A firearms offence is meant to carry a minimum of 5 years.

depends doesn't it. on what the offences actually were. certainly the sentencing guidelines only says 'certain firearms offences'.

why does this matter anyway. he shot a man in the back. Thats far more serious than anything else he did.

You'll have to wait for the sentencing judges remarks to be published to see what if any effect this had.

or ask him.. when you go and pay him a visit.

Honestly, firearms carrys a minimum of 5 years. When my certificates come back il get a picture of the wording.

fella.. I just read the sentencing guidelines. which gives examples of actual sentences given in the past. just because 'some' firearms offences attract a 5 year sentence. doesn't mean they all do. and there are things called mitigating circumstances that can massively reduce the charge.

like admitting to them. for one and so saving the expense of a trial. Im pretty sure these extras would have been taken into consideration.. but even if they weren't. it hardly matters. he was given a 14year sentence. that means he'll be out of jail in less than 5 years unless he's stupid. What he needs to do was admit that what he did.. shooting a man in the back. was simply WRONG. and then convince the parole board that he's extremely sorry for what he did. Then.. assuming he behaves himself. they'll let him out as early as they're allowed to.

one thing is sure.. he'll never own another gun.

one thing is sure.. he'll never own another gun.

you mean legally right? :wink:

well.. err yes. Im not a criminal. so I tend to think like that. If I found a shotgun in a skip. for one thing I wouldn't touch it and then I'd be straight on the phone to the police. You have to wonder.. what WAS he thinking. if he's already a legal gun owner and 'all round nice guy' why did he take it home and then make it even more illegal than it already was. For all he knew.. that same gun could have been used for a post office hold-up.

the man was an idiot. maybe a 'nice' idiot.. but still daft as a jar of words.