Neutral sensor update.

Harri

Hi all, well after faffing with all the fairings replacing the neutral bulb and getting nowhere, the only other thing could be the dreaded sensor behind the clutch, and here it is, minus the 2 screws that held it in place :cry:

The 2 screws are nowhere to be seen, though I will drop the oil later and see if they drop from the sump. I doubt it very much. These things are not just lose but they are right out. The seller told me it must just have happened as he hadn't noticed before? well best not think about it.

So what next? I have touch the sensor to the plate and there is no sign of a neutral light coming on. So even if it was connected I'm not sure it would work.

I'll turn to you guys for guidance, wotcha think?

392302110_sensor2.thumb.jpg.0bea3150272c5278c8de1522f1c60ac7.jpg

have you pulled it out to see if that pin is meant to be inside it to make the switch work? the pin might fall out if the switch vibrates back far enough with no screws in it,if you have already got another neutral switch then change it as you are in looking at it and i will be worth putting tiny bit of loctite on the bolts when refitting them

Cheers, as you can see there are 2 hole underneath where the sensor sits. That part (and a spring) may have sat in one hole. Not sure about the other hole yet. Will try and see a parts diagram. The holes for the screws are in the casing. I'll discover more hopefully on the internet.

Barcud

Cheers Stu. What about the other hole? any ideas?

P.S. there are some sensors for sale on ebay, one pin and one spring. What do you think about the pin in one hole, and the spring in the other?

the pin and spring go in the same hole the spring pushes the pin out against the sensor

the other hole is just the centre

before you spend money I would get a spring and screws and fit the pin and sensor and see if it works

Thanks again Stu. In the morning I am gonna drop the oil. I'm hoping a couple of screws and a spring will fall out :wink: Okay, very unlikely. The pin was sitting in the clutch casing so hadn't traveled far. It might not be easy locating screws/pin and spring for sale.

If you take another look at the pic, it looks like I will have to remove the clutch to do the job? Wotcha think?

p.s. copied and pasted this.

Some chose to replace with NSU screws with 5mm x 20mm hex head bolts (to engage a few more threads) and 5mm serrated lock washers.

This might solve the screw prob'. just the spring then.

yeah the chances are you will have to remove the clutch to aid access

get a magnetic pick up tool and fish around in the sump you may pull them out with that

thats providing you dont have a surge guard on the sump! also look at removing the sump if its not a too big a job

No sump pan on that engine.......it would need the crankcases split apart to see if the screws are in there..... :shock:

Reading one of the blog things it seems that fitting a decent magnetic sump plug is highly recommended...... :wink:

There is so much stuff on the internet with guys having this sensor problem. This link will show you why I was concerned. I still havn't found the 2 screws and spring :shock: I'm gonna drop a magnet in around the sump and hopefully pick something up.

I'm gonna try and refit the sensor and I have the size of the 2 missing screws. The spring that goes with the pin though I have absolutely no idea what size!? And I've not found any clues on the web!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost ... ount=49541

Barcud

Hi Mega, I have had my finger up the sump plug hole :shock: and there appears to be a filter over the hole so I don't think anything could be washed out anyway!

Magnet on a stick is the next step. The magnet double double wired :wink:

Barcud

Well, I found my magnet today in one of my tool boxes :) The extending type that looks like a radio ariel. I wasted no time in getting it into my sump. And lo and behold, 2 screws appeared. I was quite happy as I now know they are not gonna cause a crunch of any kind. BUT, the spring remains undiscovered. ( as I mentioned the sump hole has something over it so a flush out would do no good.) I really wanted the spring as I need to know what size spring to refit with the pin. I have 2 hex headed screws with a longer shank ready to put the sensor in. Might just drill and wire them up as well.

135256760_screws1.thumb.jpg.859d7fb0f86c93dacc55b59d5e6d1add.jpg

Yup, right on brother :)

I tried the magnet by the hole but didn't get anything so presumed it wasn't there. After reading your post I thought I'd have another look. I used a thin piece of wire to have a poke and YES, the oil was holding it back in place but out it came. My collection is complete :) :) :)

Tomorrow I will have the new hex head screws and will see if the sensor actually works anyway.

Saved me a whole lot of bother, thanks Stu :wink: