What kind of top box mounting would i need?

So today i got accepted to do a part time courier job, But before i can start i will need to buy a top box for my bike.

Are the two things under the back seat for mounting the top box? What kind of top box mounting would i need for my bike?

Please any help would be great!

http://i.imgur.com/uVGVV8P.jpg

They look more like lifting handles.. to lift the bike onto its centre stand.

as for which top box. - that looks problematic because your bike doesn't have a rear rack.. and its not a major brand. one solution Ive seen is to lose the pillion seat and fix a mount to that.. maybe remove the padding. its an extreme answer. but all that comes to mind right now.

you can get 'soft' cases that will strap to the pillion. might be worth investigating.

If you're going to do it proper courier style you should get a cheap second, or even third hand top box with loads of cracks in and use some grubby bungee cords to hold it down. :-)

Like Shorty says.......one of the guys I know bought a secondhand seat and screwed a top box mount to the pillion position......he uses it for touring, so when he's going off on a jount somewhere he puts the seat with the top box mount on his bike and heads off...... 8-)

An alternative backpack..... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lomo-Dry-Bag-Da ... B00E8JFT4G

But I'd avoid using a backpack for prolonged periods of time on the bike..... :shock:

Corrugated plastic. Make a pizza delivery box (google it, it's easy). Reinforce the base and sides with some old metal (for base make a square frame around with another piece running up the centre, or use the side panel from a PC case). Drill through the metal you use for the base, drill through pillion seat. Use a couple of hefty bolts to secure it to pillion seat. Add bungees/gaffa tape for effect. I've filled these corrugated plastic boxes to the brim with pizza's and 2 litre drink bottles and they remained intact.

You're nuts doing it on what looks to be a street fightered Korean 125 delivery work kills the most well made of bikes. Last year I killed the gearbox on a Honda doing pizza (and wrote one off twice in mechanical failure accidents before writing myself off in another accident)..... have fun :lol:

If you are working "self employed" (using your own bike you probably are) then you also need courier insurance and GIT insurance (goods in transit).

PM Marmalade43 on here for better info/advice (I only did Pizza) he is a semi-mythical couriering God (and a good guy as well).

Edit to add - Don't buy a CBR125 for working. Work bikes need to be cheap as hell to run, maintain and repair because you will be repairing it a lot and the consumables wear will be nuts. Honda Innova 125 is the choice for delivery 125.... it's a new take on the old cub. If that's to fancy for you then get an actual Honda C90 cub. They also need to look shit because you can't always park by the door of your delivery so theft is a big issue.

Corrugated plastic. Make a pizza delivery box (google it, it's easy). Reinforce the base and sides with some old metal (for base make a square frame around with another piece running up the centre, or use the side panel from a PC case). Drill through the metal you use for the base, drill through pillion seat. Use a couple of hefty bolts to secure it to pillion seat. Add bungees/gaffa tape for effect. I've filled these corrugated plastic boxes to the brim with pizza's and 2 litre drink bottles and they remained intact.

You're nuts doing it on what looks to be a street fightered Korean 125 delivery work kills the most well made of bikes. Last year I killed the gearbox on a Honda doing pizza (and wrote one off twice in mechanical failure accidents before writing myself off in another accident)..... have fun :lol:

If you are working "self employed" (using your own bike you probably are) then you also need courier insurance and GIT insurance (goods in transit).

PM Marmalade43 on here for better info/advice (I only did Pizza) he is a semi-mythical couriering God (and a good guy as well).

Edit to add - Don't buy a CBR125 for working. Work bikes need to be cheap as hell to run, maintain and repair because you will be repairing it a lot and the consumables wear will be nuts. Honda Innova 125 is the choice for delivery 125.... it's a new take on the old cub. If that's to fancy for you then get an actual Honda C90 cub. They also need to look shit because you can't always park by the door of your delivery so theft is a big issue.

Thank you for your advice, Your solution LOL :lol: good idea but i sadly can not do it, The company ill be working for do regular inspections on your bike to make sue its representable and mainly just to make sure your not driving a rust bucket around.

:oops: i dont know why but i really hate scooters and that c90 is not much better. I know it would be the most practical option but i cant just cant imagine me riding one.

Thank you for your advice, Your solution LOL :lol: good idea but i sadly can not do it, The company ill be working for do regular inspections on your bike to make sue its representable and mainly just to make sure your not driving a rust bucket around.

:oops: i dont know why but i really hate scooters and that c90 is not much better. I know it would be the most practical option but i cant just cant imagine me riding one.

If my old corrugated plastic box is still in with all my parts I'll get a photo of it later. Looks neater and tidier than most top boxes. Other option is a 2nd hand top box but as I doubt a rack is available for that daelim you are going to need to drill down through the seat still (or make a rack which would be a ball ache, drill seat is easier).

If it's a work bike hating the look should be last of what matters.

A Honda Innova

Bullet proof engine and simple electrics

Semi auto gearbox so no faffing with a clutch but not as slow as an actual auto

Minimal bodywork to smash

Enclosed chain (minimises maint on it)

Skinny as hell so can be wedged through the tiniest of gaps

When chains, sprockets, tyres, pads do wear out they cost a pittance to replace

They were designed to be repaired by 3rd world mechanics with minimal skills, materials or tools so the inevitable crashes and scrapes are cheap and easy to sort.

Nobody wants to steal them

Demand for them in delivery industry means even after a billion scrapes and an insane mileage they still retain some value

(off topic but they are surprisingly lolz to mess about on too)

Oh and technically its not a scooter :wink:

Compared to a CBR125 -

Pricier consumables

Lots of plastic that will get scuffed, scraped and snapped

Uncomfortable to be using for hours at a time (in comparison to the position on an innova)

More complex to repair

The wear and tear and mileage of using it as a work bike will kill its value

Thief magnet

In short unless you plan to spend all you earn (and likely more) on keeping the CBR polished and patched you will just end up with a wreck that negates the wanting it to look cool factor.

Also get some quotes for insurance that include cover for courier work. I suspect the CBR will get silly high quotes while an Innova will cost b-all.

It's all about spending the absolute bare minimum on your work bike to maximise the income you take home.... then you can buy a CBR for your own pleasure use. Before I mangled my spine and quit I was prepping a 50cc Vclic (with an 80cc bore kit) to do delivery work..... now I'm a 29 year old, 16 stone lump can you imagine how silly I look on that? Zero shites given though it was to work a purely urban area that never moved above 40 MPH and the crappy ped was the cheapest way to do it.

I guess it would be a good idea to just pick up a cheap one for work. I have just been looking at some insurance quotes and WOW i was not expecting it to cost so much, around 3k for courier insurance. just so i can carry some items in a backpack/top box. its like quadruple what i pay at the moment.

I guess it would be a good idea to just pick up a cheap one for work. I have just been looking at some insurance quotes and WOW i was not expecting it to cost so much, around 3k for courier insurance. just so i can carry some items in a backpack/top box. its like quadruple what i pay at the moment.

L plates don't help there, to an insurer you are an unqualified learner, planning to rack up epic mileages in all conditions.

Your employer may check/insist on the correct insurance. If they don't and you are not wearing any kind of uniform you could chance it on normal insurance but if caught by old bill your bike may be squashed. You definitely want goods in transit insurance that covers you against losing or damaging whatever you are carrying, without that you lose some small parcel that turns out to be a £99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 piece of unobtanium you are screwed.

Though check if the employer provides any of this (I doubt they do though as you are using your own bike I'm guessing you are "self employed").

Like I said though send Marmalade43 a message he can give you actual good advice and may be able to point you toward the best places to get insured, etc.

L plates don't help there, to an insurer you are an unqualified learner, planning to rack up epic mileages in all conditions.

Your employer may check/insist on the correct insurance. If they don't and you are not wearing any kind of uniform you could chance it on normal insurance but if caught by old bill your bike may be squashed. You definitely want goods in transit insurance that covers you against losing or damaging whatever you are carrying, without that you lose some small parcel that turns out to be a £99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 piece of unobtanium you are screwed.

Though check if the employer provides any of this (I doubt they do though as you are using your own bike I'm guessing you are "self employed").

Like I said though send Marmalade43 a message he can give you actual good advice and may be able to point you toward the best places to get insured, etc.

I spoke to an a VERY helpfull person over the phone, originally the quote he recieve was around 3k which he also thought was a stupid price, he was then able to have it brought down to 1.1k massive drop in price. he changed it to courier/food delivery driver and added the food delivery driver to my part time job and it dropped dramatically. Very happy :D paying only £136 a month.

I spoke to an a VERY helpfull person over the phone, originally the quote he recieve was around 3k which he also thought was a stupid price, he was then able to have it brought down to 1.1k massive drop in price. he changed it to courier/food delivery driver and added the food delivery driver to my part time job and it dropped dramatically. Very happy :D paying only £136 a month.

Sounds good, when I was idly thinking of using my ZZR as a working bike (dumb idea not suitable) I was getting similar to that and that's with a full licence.