Rear brake caliper pin slider / slider bolt.

Guest Phil Young

So a few weeks back, whilst changing my rear pads... I managed to strip the thread on my pin slide bolt. Ordered a new one, tightened it up and this morning I saw it's not there anymore! Must have fell off... weird eh!?

Anyway.

1) What does this bolt do?

2) Reckon I'll be ok for the 15 days it days to come through? (ordered a new part).

Part in question:

5sl259140000.jpg

Whoops... think I'm just answering my own question here but clarification would be nice.

Does it allow equal pressure to be applied to both pads? And... yes, it will be fine for a few weeks...?

If it gose into a rubber boot then it lets the calliper float, if theres just one piston the when you push the rear brake the caliper slides over so the pad on the other side makes contact with the disk.

Im crap at explaining things so i hope it makes sense.

I wouldn't be using the bike without that pin!

There should be 2 of them and they hold the caliper on with only one the caliper could swing down and lock the rear and have you off!

I wouldn't be using the bike without that pin!

There should be 2 of them and they hold the caliper on with only one the caliper could swing down and lock the rear and have you off!

There's one that holds the caliper on - this needs to be torqued heavily so can only assume it's the bolt that holds it on. The pin slider does stop it swinging but it only moves a bit and I doubt much will throw the caliper upwards (A because the bolt holding it in place, and B because I tried moving it up and down etc and it doesn't have much movement).

So what about as a temporary bodge job - some cable ties that will just keep the caliper where it is...?

Beat me to it Stu!

Anyroad, it's unlikely the bolt would have stripped as it'll be steel - it's more probable that the thread has gone in the calliper, hence why you lost the new one. Helicoil time for you my chum!

I'd be tempted to ride still but only it the remaining bolt was in the leading edge of the calliper and I wouldn't touch the brake lever*.

*This is not necessarily a good idea.

Oh Shizen houzen. That's really annoying... I think my dad is handy with re-threading so will have a chat with him on Sunday. That really sucks if the housing thread has become damaged... which seems a good explanation to how it managed to come out, like you said fro man.

The caliper is not in any danger of coming off - that I can safely say, even after rigorously pushing down and testing the brake lever - I will re-enforce it anyway.

New part ordered and will check out the female thread.

Thanks for the input as always folks.

I shall see what can be done... I had another place with it tonight and manged to get it up so it is hinged on the one bolt.

Looking at it, a cable tie around the swingarm appears to have solved the problem for now.

img20150313_205231.jpg.44cc898d89ae07b3ecc1d4c9797177ab.jpg