Broken helmet

That sounds a bit painful.. but it's ok it's not me little old fella :)

I bought a new helmet in December just gone.. had it a few months.. never dropped it, not fallen off or anything and it buggered :(

I've only had it 2 minutes.. and it's wasn't a really cheap one..

I'm pretty sure if I took it back to shop they would tell me to feck off and that it looks I've been using it as a football..

Is there usually any kind if Warrenty or something with a new helmet ?? Surely they are guaranteed for more than 4 months of non accident normal everyday use before they fall to bits??

Bottom trim hanging off...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/07/f79f411b370a143d15f2897d3f5a2425.jpg

Screw fallen out near visor...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/07/ca927eca22b3bb721e118347b4d07f29.jpg

It's scratched to hell and the foam inside looks like it's about to fall out.. :(

Hmm, not grand. Although the "scratched to hell" bit isn't an inherent fault or a product of poor quality, and might count against you when it comes to complaining to the retailer.

Yeah that's what I thought too.. I can't understand how it's got scratched .. I look after it... and as I say, I've never dropped it..

I would cut your losses and purchase a new decent one

I have an HJC cs-14 helmet for sale in a medium its only been worn twice it was the wife's but she has an Arai head :lol:

I only want £40 for it

although it may be a bit for for you to come! and I don't fancy posting a helmet!

:shock:

Take it back to the shop ASAP with the original receipt and ask for an exchange as the helmet you purchased is not fit for purpose disregard the scratches and you've basically got to ask yourself if the helmet would do you any good in a crash.. it's falling apart from day to day wear and tear (something no helmet budget or not should ever do).

See what their response is and go from there.

J&S always have the Frank Thomas helmets on sale for about £40-50 (not cheap, but not expensive), although I purchased one (not sure of what model) more pain that's it's worth.. a visor mechanism that needed two hands to open when fully closed, a visor that fogged up endlessly and quite a bit of wind noise although I did have the wrong size I had a XL.. my current AGV helmet is ML..

in summary even when showing J&S (had only been riding about a month or two) that the helmet would come loose when pushed upwards and could be moved around when fitted they still said it's a good fit, trust yourself.

If the shop refuse to exchange it and say your stuck with it then just hang it up on your wall as memorabilia, I really wouldn't trust it to be worth anything more than that.

Not quite sure where you stand.. I think any surface damage will count against you though.

Check out caberg helmets. i've got a fat noggin and mine fits comfortably. I got a V2RR for £130.

Dazziep.

For commuting I use a box. Cost me £60 in the sales at jordans.

Done approx 5k with it and not a hint of bother. I fitted a pinlock to it and apart from occasional clean that's all.

It will do me for work.

I would take yours back and play holy hell mind.

I've always found j and s fine (leeds) so they may help.

I'm in leeds at the mo.. but bought it from donny so I guess I'd have to take it back there .. but I reckon someone like J&S would be ok.. they're a big company after all..

Dazziep.

Call into the leeds branch. The lass who works there. Black n purple hair. 40 odd. Very helpful.

She will probably try to help you out n give advice.

Not sure about the new helmet :(

It seems louder? ? If that's possible...I like to try and listen to the bike to make sure it sounds ok and isn't making no weird sounds it shouldn't be and all I can hear now is the wind.. really loudly .. I could still hear wind before but it didn't seem as loud.

Is this possible or us it just me going mad?

Full face > open face, just my opinion.

Yes helmets vary in the amount of wind noise that you hear, I had a budget Frank Thomas helmet as my first ever then upgraded to an AGV using the line "it's changed the way I ride" just because a helmet with all the features that meets your needs and is comfortable makes the ride that much easier.

Sadly wind noise is not something you can determine by trying the helmet on only by asking for advice or reading reviews before hand.

Bottom of a J&S reciept;

" J&S Accept no responsibility for goods found to be noisy marked or an incorrect fit after the time of purchase", although on most days they'll change your helmet for the correct size one provided it doesn't have marks etc.. so there is some leeway, sadly I'd say your stuck with it.

Do you research and get yourself a full face lid when funds allow, if the wind noise isn't pleasant on light gusting sunny days imagine what it will be like when the weather gets worse.

Maybe try ear plugs to improve the comfort of the ride in the mean time, as for listening to the sound of your bike I'd say the line "if it aint broke, don't fix it" comes into play, as long as there isn't something funky happening while out and about then you'll be fine, and if there is just open the helmet and you'll have more noise provided than a anyone with a full face ever would.