My brother in law is a sound engineer and he used a company called mercury hearing, not cheap but he swears their the best he's ever tried.

www.mercuryhearing.com

I'm looking at getting some but need to wait for a month when ive got a bit of spare cash.

Foam ones are fine if you install them in your ear corectly. I had some moulded ones but I didnt find them very good. As soon as the seal breaks between the plug and your ear, all the noise comes in.

Roll 'em up, suck them to make them wet, stuff them deep into your ears with your mouth wide open and wait for them to expand and form a seal.

I splashed out a whole £2.50 and ordered these when I got my bike - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B ... ge_o07_s00

Was nice to try a lot of different brands and styles. I've pretty much settled on the moldex ones, as the Howard Leight ones seem to keep sliding out my ear and the 3M EAR ones are either too hard or to long. I found the The Moldex ones have a more foamy texture and do not slide back out.

I've now ordered 20 x Moldex Pura-Fit and 20 x Moldex Spark Plugs as both or them were very comfortable I found.

So for £6.25 I've got 40 pairs of ear plugs. I think I'll stick with the disposable ones as I think I'd be scared I'd lose a custom made pair. And the reusable ones you see on amazon all look like they are made from a very slidey material.

If you buy the disposable ones in bulk they get even cheaper.

I have tried loads of earplugs and finally settled on the EAR soft fx or EAR 3M they are both the same

I have found these the best for cutting out noise, the easiest to get in and the comfiest

earplugs are a personal thing and you need to find the best for you

I want to try a custom set but its a lot of money to try!

I've tried all types of foam ones and just cannot get them to stay in, and they gross me out! Also, I could reeeally do with some proper ones for work...I looked into whether working in the dental field can damage hearing recently, and it does...not surprising when the ultrasonic scaler, fast handpiece, and the very loud generator are going for a good portion of my normal working days. It's something I am already concerned about as my hearing isn't that great anyway (thanks to too much loud music over many years and a job I had previously at uni working the club nights near massive speakers). Then of course I can use em on my bike too. I really like this:

Connecting cord - hang your plugs round your neck during breaks, and keep them together when not in use.

Not only will that make em easier to use at work in particular, but I'm less likely to lose them haha!

I know this topic has been covered before and is likely to be one ppl get bored of seeing...but as it's already been started - can anyone else vouch for the moulded earplugs or any more mid-range priced ones please? :-D

I have custom moulded ones from http://www.plugzz.co.uk/index.php/prices.html, they were £50-60. I have very narrow ear holes and no amount of twisting, squeezing or pulling will get the disposable ones in so I can't compare them to regular disposable ones. The only other ones I've tried are the boots silicone plugs which cover your ear hole rather than go in it, which I'd say are about equally as good in terms of cutting out noise.

i recently bought a re-usable pair of ear plugs for £6 or so. clear silicone with 3 domes. I find these really easy to stick in my ear compared to the foam ones.

but as stu said, every ones ears are different.

I've been wanting to try the moulded ones with the speakers in though.

i recently bought a re-usable pair of ear plugs for £6 or so. clear silicone with 3 domes. I find these really easy to stick in my ear compared to the foam ones.

For biking or other stuff? Seems like a great idea, earphones never stay in comfortably for me, and after an hour or so get uncomfortable.

I've borrowed Chris' domed ones, they stay in better than foam ones but still uncomfortable. I'm just a fussy bugger :mrgreen:

Might try those Boots ones first... :thumb:

For biking or other stuff? Seems like a great idea, earphones never stay in comfortably for me, and after an hour or so get uncomfortable.

I've borrowed Chris' domed ones, they stay in better than foam ones but still uncomfortable. I'm just a fussy bugger :mrgreen:

Might try those Boots ones first... :thumb:

For the money these take some beating

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/sho ... wgodD3sABA

The wires go over the ear the speaker units are about as flat as you can get, just be sure you've got the correct rubber adaptors - fitments fitted for your ear. We ride all day with them they cut the wind noise and offer good clear sound way up to motorway speeds and beyond

The wires go over the ear the speaker units are about as flat as you can get, just be sure you've got the correct rubber adaptors - fitments fitted for your ear. We ride all day with them they cut the wind noise and offer good clear sound way up to motorway speeds and beyond

I have looked at a few of these to use with our scala riders

but when I look for ear plugs the first thing I look for is the SNR rating and none of these earphones have any of this published even though they are marketed as sound isolating/noise cancelling :?

I have looked at a few of these to use with our scala riders

but when I look for ear plugs the first thing I look for is the SNR rating and none of these earphones have any of this published even though they are marketed as sound isolating/noise cancelling :?

I've been using this brand for a while Stu, had them on our hard wired intercom system now using them on BT blue tooth intercom. I've had phone conversation with folks whilst on the motorway loud and clear

yup I understand all that chris and from all accounts they work great

my issue is how much wind noise do the cut out and will they bring the sound levels down to a safe level

I want to protect my hearing at the same time :thumb:

it would be nice if they where tested and some reports made to their effectiveness at protecting your hearing :)

Bought these bad boys earlier: :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ANNVA6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

See how they go. Cheap I know...but they could be great! The fun coloured ones didn't have as good reviews sadly! :mrgreen:

I don't think I'll bother with new earphones til my current ones are on their way out, but those look great :thumb: most likely better than mine that make my ears ache after about an hour or so!

If you have to have the music any louder than you would whilst not on the bike, they are not blocking the noise, but the louder music is masking the noise and causing ear damage.

If you have to have the music any louder than you would whilst not on the bike, they are not blocking the noise, but the louder music is masking the noise and causing ear damage.

this is the point I'm making too!

I want hearing protection and volume low enough too