SR 50 only turning over when spark plug is removed

thesloth

Hi everyone. New to the forum and relatively new to 2 wheels, and really enjoying it!

I have an Aprilia SR 50 moped which a friend had sat in his garage for a while.

After replacing parts ( HT coil and lead. spark plug, draining fuel and oil and refilling) I come to start it up.

The battery is fully charged and turning the engine over with ease for about 2 cycles, at which point it seems to create too much pressure and not continue turning.

I have removed the spark plug and the engine will turn over smoothly (both kick and electric) with no abnormal sounds. however, the oil and fuel mixture seems to be spurting out the top.

I have checked the spark plug and ht lead, both work perfectly.

I hope I've supplied enough information, if not just ask for more details and what you'd like to know about and I will do my best.

I appreciate ANY help anyone can give me!

Thanks guys

Sounds like hydraulic lock. As above, plug out and keep kicking until it clears. Probably caused by a sticking float in the carb draining the tank into the engine. Don't have the ignition on while you do it or a spark may set fire to the fuel!

What about valve sticking/clearance? Could it be that the exhaust valve is not opening to clear the spend exhaust?

That would explain pressure build up and pot filling with fuel.

What about valve sticking/clearance? Could it be that the exhaust valve is not opening to clear the spend exhaust?

its a 2 stroke so no valves to stick open............well as far as i know its 2 stroke

its a 2 stroke so no valves to stick open............well as far as i know its 2 stroke

Ah, didn't realise it was a two-stroke! Another dumb move. lol

Apparantly, it is direct injection also so won't have carb either! Am I right?

Yes, its a 2 stroke

Ah, didn't realise it was a two-stroke! Another dumb move. lol

Apparantly, it is direct injection also so won't have carb either! Am I right?

Nope, they made an injection model as well as a carb model. I have the carb'd one.

Thank you still

Hmm... Yeah, plug, fuel off out and kick it until it clears.

A flooding carb shouldn hydrolock a 2-stroke that quickly unless you've got the worlds worst leak as the fuel vapour goes via the crank case (unless your crank is full or petrol/oil/water etc).

If the problem persists, I'd be tempted to drain off the crank and go from there.

So I got myself a can of carb cleaner. Took it off the bike etc. But the eejit before me has rounded off the screws on the bowl bit at the bottom (waiting on a friend dropping off a dremmel)

I'm about to look at the exhaust, but I don't know how I'd tell if the exhaust is blocked or not

sounds like that will be your problem using cheap 2 stroke oil causes some of that problem in he old days we used to seal one end up and then fill exhaust with caustic soda /water mix leave overnight then rinse out following day that got loads of the crap out,i would leave the carb alone untill you have done the exhaust and see what happens then

sounds like that will be your problem using cheap 2 stroke oil causes some of that problem in he old days we used to seal one end up and then fill exhaust with caustic soda /water mix leave overnight then rinse out following day that got loads of the crap out,i would leave the carb alone untill you have done the exhaust and see what happens then

Those were the days! :-)

That was my plan for now. I'll set that up before I go work.

Thanks for the advice