Textile or Leather

Good quality textiles now rival or exceed the abrasion resistance of leather. Textiles are usually more waterproof, and are easier to make warmer or cooler than most leathers.

So it is mostly down to personal preference what you get. Fit however is the most important factor in my mind.

Personally I like (in no particular order) Hein Gerick, Halvarssons/Jofama/Lindstrands, BMW Motorrad, RST.

Richa also get good reviews.

Held look to be doing some nice kit, but I have not tried it, or know anyone that has.

Have you seen some that you would like an opinion on? Depending on budget there is a whole host of jackets out there.

Textiles for winter, leathers for summer.

But you can wear textiles all around and remove the lining.

I have RST, but ofcourse since it's made in the UK, there can be some problems. E.g. zips breaking (Phil Young lol)

Come off at a decent speed, textiles won't last 2 seconds. In terms of crash protection, nothing will compare to a good set of leathers. This has been tested and I believe it was comparable to denim in respect to how long it lasts on a slide...

If I'm going on a ride where I intend on giving it the beans... nothing else will come into my mind.

For day to day commuting, I don't mind wearing textiles. Mine aren't very good though - poor quality (RST blade).

Come off at a decent speed, textiles won't last 2 seconds. In terms of crash protection, nothing will compare to a good set of leathers. This has been tested and I believe it was comparable to denim in respect to how long it lasts on a slide...

If I'm going on a ride where I intend on giving it the beans... nothing else will come into my mind.

For day to day commuting, I don't mind wearing textiles. Mine aren't very good though - poor quality (RST blade).

I've found RST leathers to not be poor quality. Be interesting to see compared to another make which is 400 pounds more what the difference would be in an accident. I'll soon be purchasing RST textiles to commute in too as feel they offer quality for a reasonable price.

by denim are you suggesting 'ordinary' cotton denim.. as in Levis?

but that aside.

Exactly how were the textiles tested.. and what exactly was tested. and tested against what as a comparison?

There will be mixed views here through personal experience, decent textiles and by decent i mean comparable prices to decent leathers then they will offer good protection, there is a few matirials that have very good abrasion protect. What you need to bare in mind is textiles are more user friendly, bit more free to move, cooler in summer and warmer in winter and waterproof! Leathers arnt waterproof, yes you can treat them but they still don't cut the mustard. I personally wear leather with waterproof over suit or jacket. Bit more of a maul but hey. I trust leather more than textile so thats why i choose it.

I came off in leathers and i still wear them, i dont think i could say the same for textile, so coming off repairing bike, replacing lid as well as all gear isnt my idea of fun

Mine are all leather - I have a Spyke set (11 years old), an RST two piece (8 years old) which is my standard everyday set and have not had even the tiniest quality issue, and a Frank Thomas one piece (9 years old) which again has been great - I've "tested" the Frank Thomas and it has to be said that without them I would have an extra hole in my arse. :-)

None of these sets were particularly pricey and I happily still use the one piece on track.

I wouldn't recommend leather alone if it's going to rain a decent amount as it soaks up a tremendous amount of water and you get bloody wet!

I'm toying with the idea of a new set as mine are quite dated and mucky (can't be arsed to clean them) - I'll definitely be buying leather again.

by denim are you suggesting 'ordinary' cotton denim.. as in Levis?

but that aside.

Exactly how were the textiles tested.. and what exactly was tested. and tested against what as a comparison?

Pretty sure it was ordinary denim, not kevlar jeans...

I'll do a bit of searching again on google, but I'm sure it was done with a crash test dummy or something similar to what they would use to test car security. I did quite a bit of research before forking out on my (poor quality!) RST blades... just to know in my head what kind of protection I have.

I can't remember the exact figures but jeans was something like 0.6s, textiles were ~0.8 and leathers being a minimum of ~1.6s

I'll try and dig out the test results page but I can remember there was a considerable difference between leathers and textiles...

Also, I know of somebody that had a really low speed off wearing textiles... ripped part of them to shreds. So with those two things in mind, I never kid myself that I am protected with them on... Plus.

Were these the figures you remeber Phil?

From RiDE mag, November 2011. Purely abrasion resistance tests performed by SATRA, with no armour inserts fitted. They don't specify a simulated road speed, just the relative times to wear through the trousers. Average times are shown, the article has details for knee / thigh / arse times:

Hein Gericke Reno leather jeans: 4.74 seconds

Draggin' Biker kevlar jeans: 3.07 seconds

Hornee kevlar jeans: 1.39 seconds

Rev'it Sand textile trousers: 0.71 seconds

Levi stonewash 501s: 0.56 seconds

Tesco Cherokee jeans: 0.16 seconds

Source - http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=231812

Unfortunately I cannot find any more recent, or indepth tests. I'd particularly like to see how hi-art fairs.

HI-ART®

What’s not supposed to happen, just did! You’ve come off and hit the ground but know this is just the beginning.

If you crash at 110 km/h, it will be another five to seven seconds before you come to a stop. At this speed on asphalt, normal clothing would only survive a fraction of a second!

HI-ART® is a material that has been developed by us for use in exposed areas on many of our garments. This allows us to increase frictional resistance by over 500 per cent for textiles and over 200 per cent for leather – without the clothing becoming overly expensive.

HI-ART® is a material very similar to terry cloth. The thread is guided towards the outside in small loops, meaning friction is taken up by the short ends of the fibres. It’s like cutting a piece of wood – it is much more difficult to cut in the direction of the grain than across the grain.

Make sure your clothes have HI-ART® in case the worst should happen.

source http://www.jofama.se/mcsm/technical_inf ... ang=2&id=3

Great responses thanks, :D looks like i`ll be needing both at some point but i`ll go leather for my 1st setup and go from there.

While im on, where do you buy your gear? any standard sites?

Cheers

Ty

Great responses thanks, :D looks like i`ll be needing both at some point but i`ll go leather for my 1st setup and go from there.

While im on, where do you buy your gear? any standard sites?

Cheers

Ty

Yes, www.A SHOP .com

Means you can see if they actually it and EVERYTHING!

Get yourself up to westgate hill mate, m and s or theres a shop at the very top on the right called proto or something along those lines.

Also a place over in the metro centre j and s i think its called, near maplin.

J&S are good for trying on loads of things. They tend to stock a variety of sizes for each brand.

Alternatively, nearly all my gear has came from eBay :D It always surprises me how many folk buy things, then never wear them!

I love the line "bought for wife/girlfriend, worn once then changed her mind about coming on the bike" :-D

I love the line "bought for wife/girlfriend, worn once then changed her mind about coming on the bike" :-D

Just won an auction last night for a nice leather biker jacket with that exact line in the description!! :) bargain as well!

I've "tested" my textiles at reasonable speed and had mixed results. Trousers (600D Cordura) caught the worst of the skid and they did a stunning job, nowt more than a ripped zip because I had one of the vents open. Jacket (Frank Thomas "Hypertec" fabric) caught a little bit of the skid and did absolutely sod all, largely ended up melted into the gouge on my elbow that the road created :roll:

Main thing this taught me is to stick to reliable and consistent materials like kevlar or cordura and to stay the hell away from fancy named proprietary fabrics that Google doesn't seem to be aware of :lol: