Any Kawasaki owners in North Norfolk?

Edd

The Ninja is Ticking and think it's the automatic CCT that Kawasaki fit, not keeping enough tension on the cam chain...(apparently very common)..but before I buy another (probably manual one), it would be good if anyone with any experience of them could have a listen!? I've tried recording it, but it makes it sound completely different! I've read about a way to tighten the existing CCT, but I'm reluctant to try it incase something else is making the noise and I then add an over tightened cam chain to the mix!

^ I hope that makes some sense!

Thanks.

start the bike up and use a thin length of wood or a long screw driver place it on the cct and use your ear to listen to what ever you have placed there you will hear the noise through the wood or whatever is put there you can place it at different points around the engine to listen to whats going on in there

Sorry my skills don't go that far but if ever fancy a ride out in the future i often head to North Norfolk from Norwich.

NearOn

Yeah that sounds good mate, let me know when you're heading this way next! Have you ever been to the Reepham meet?

start the bike up and use a thin length of wood or a long screw driver place it on the cct and use your ear to listen to what ever you have placed there you will hear the noise through the wood or whatever is put there you can place it at different points around the engine to listen to whats going on in there

Awesome, cheers..it sounds to be in that region, I took it to the local bike shop this morning and the mechanic had a listen and said "sounds sweet to me!"..apparently it's just a Kawasaki thing?...I'm not convinced, but I'll see how it goes I guess...maybe I'm just being paranoid!

are you sure its not clutch rattle they are prone to that as well

Are they? Mine isn't. :-)

Mine gets louder and quieter over time - probably where it's a little out but not enough to catch the next ratchet.

Some people say manual is the way to go but that's arse ache having to nip it up now and then and it's not difficult to over tighten them.

are you sure its not clutch rattle they are prone to that as well

Are they? Mine isn't. :-)

The zxr 400 was terrible for clutch rattle!

the newer 6's are quiet as a mouse

Sorry my skills don't go that far but if ever fancy a ride out in the future i often head to North Norfolk from Norwich.

NearOn

Yeah that sounds good mate, let me know when you're heading this way next! Have you ever been to the Reepham meet?

I haven't no, but would do. I'm currently bike less till 15th but then will be out and about, will send you a PM nearer the time. Cheers!

..and thanks everyone, I'm going to give a few more miles and see if it gets any louder! I'll try and get a recording in the meantime!

....but, new problem! (Should have stuck with the Suzuki!)....riding along today and the bloody instrument panel just died and then came back on a couple of seconds later, it did exactly the same thing again about 10 miles later! No loss of power..just no display!

check the multi plug that goes from in the fairing area up into the clocks it might be loose or the contacts filthy dirty and need cleaning up or just a dodgy earth even

Will do, thanks. I did wash it yesterday so may have disturbed something?...I really hope so anyway!

I'll have a look after work tomorrow and update.

Thanks!

so I'm guessing by the way you have video'd it the sound is coming from the right hand side?

clutch is on the left

I suspect the sound been the cam chain tensioner

as for the clocks you have a lose connection somewhere

so I'm guessing by the way you have video'd it the sound is coming from the right hand side?

clutch is on the left

I suspect the sound been the cam chain tensioner

as for the clocks you have a lose connection somewhere

So you can hear it as well?...I've had friends and a mechanic tell me it sounds fine!..I thought I was going mad!

I think I'm going to try the "one click fix" on the CCT and if it stops the ticking I'll eventually replace it.

Hopefully I'll find the bad connection while I'm at it!..the dial looks like a fiddly b*stard to remove though!

I'm not saying I can hear it as I'm not next to the bike

cameras tend to magnify ticking sounds and make them worse than they are

personally I wouldn't do the 1 click trick as it can cause too much tension on your timing chain resulting in it stretching more

Hmm, I don't know what to do! Should you replace them when they get noisy or just wait for them to tighten themselves?

Thank you both for your help/input btw!

the cct will adjust on its own once the chain gets slack enough unless it has stuck,one way to see w hat happens is give it a gentle tap with big screwdriver or small hammer as it might be stuck and will pop free when tapped

Cool, thanks again! I'll have a go tomorrow.