How true is this video? (Counter steering)

matt6950

But it's something we all do since riding a push bike from an early age like someone else has said. I've always understood it to be push left to go left and push right to go right, the sharper the corner.

Yes, but consistently we get people just on this forum who don't know of its existence, and who struggle to go around bends. There must be millions of riders out there who are taking bends, but who dont actually know how - they are relying on their instincts/subconscious. But then when they find themselves deep in a corner and running wide, it's their conscious mind that's in control, they panic and do the wrong thing because their conscious mind doesn't know how to use counter steering to tighten up the line, and they end up in the ditch.

Good teaching should not assume any prior knowledge. They should teach vehicle control from the ground up, and that includes how to steer a bike.

And that's what happened to me when I came off. Wasen't exactly a sharp corner it was my 1st corner at about 50mph probably slightly to fast for the corner. and I panicked. Instead of counter steering I tried to brake as much as possible to try and slow me down because i had made up my mind that i had no way to recover from this so to just try and slow down as much as possible or stop. I feel if i had counter steered and leaned more into the turn I probably would have made it round. been a bit shocken up after but would have been okay.

Still trying to work out what gear for what corner I never seem to go above 3rd gear :oops: :lol: :lol:

And that's what happened to me when I came off. Wasen't exactly a sharp corner it was my 1st corner at about 50mph probably slightly to fast for the corner. and I panicked. Instead of counter steering I tried to brake as much as possible to try and slow me down because i had made up my mind that i had no way to recover from this so to just try and slow down as much as possible or stop. I feel if i had counter steered and leaned more into the turn I probably would have made it round. been a bit shocken up after but would have been okay.

Still trying to work out what gear for what corner I never seem to go above 3rd gear :oops: :lol: :lol:

Exactly. in the majority of accidents, the bike could easily have made the corner, but the rider couldnt.

As for what gear to be in, you ideally want to be accelerating through the corner. Think "Slow in, fast out" ie you come out of the bend faster than you went in.

So slow down before the corner, select the correct gear for your speed that allows you to gently accelerate through the corner. The idea is that by accelerating, youre shifting weight away from your skinny front tyre (with small contact patch) onto your fat rear tyre (with larger contact patch). this keeps the bike balanced and reduces the chance of a front wheel slide.

Thanks guys I'm back to riding my bike to and from work again now and I have re-gained a lot of my confidence today.

I'm finding a few things a lot easier with the "counter" steering method. turns that you can easily get round at about 30-40mph i was finding my self slowing right down to take them, Yeah i may have felt safe when going round the corner but it was just an accident waiting to happen. but with counter steering I get round them fine. I am trying to make it so counter steering is both a reflex thing and something i will do when i think about it too. lane control just most control when moving is easier with counter steering.

it's one of those until your on the bike and try it, it doesn't make much sense.Once you have tried it your like oh i understand now lol.

Bit more useful advice from someone who learnt the hard way: never object fixate. Ever! If you do cock up a corner, keep looking into the apex/where you want the bike to go, don't panic and look ahead - because that is where your bike will go. Always look where you want to go.

I was always told don't brake in a corner, but if you absolutely *must* then try and straighten your bike up. 8-)

Glad you're enjoying learning new things, though don't believe everything you read/watch/hear unless from reliable sources :thumb:

Don't think I've read anyone mentioning Twist of the Wrist - the biker's bible! :mrgreen: Wish I'd watched this when I started (this is the cut version without the dreadful acting!) - starts off with countersteering too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWgb0MtgNlo

At 3mins is what I think I did. Also think I had may have had clutch in somewhat (don't hold clutch in on corners!). But I'm not certain/can't properly remember as I think I was concussed. Mentioning this to help you to not make mine, and many others' mistakes.

Keep enjoying yourself :thumb: it only gets better!