Car question/ help

Adam

I know shock horror I've mentioned a car on a motorbike forum :lol:

Anyhow I've noticed an intermittent problem with my car (2005 Ford Fiesta 1.25) when I start it sometimes the starter motor turns then stops and starts again which will start the engine but every time this happens the dash goes off and resets.

Is this battery related or starter motor?

Before anyone asks I haven't checked the battery I'll get one of my electricians to do that tomorrow.

Thanks!

does everything reset like the time and date?

could be a bit of both

dodgy starter and when sticking drawing too much power from the battery and because it could be a bit weak its not got enough power in it to keep everything alive

No not time and date stu but it all switches off and then all lights come on which I assume is the ecu doing its checks? I'll get a multimeter on the battery and start it, any way of testing the starter motor?

Most car batteries have a health indicator or them that you can use the check them without any other tools. Usually located on the top of them. Mine is a colour codes circle. Green= Good Black = dud battery. Not sure if that is universal though.

i had a 2005 petrol c-max with exactly the same symptoms. I replaced the battery (cheap one from halfrauds using the trade card) and problems vanished after that. Battery is quicker to change than the starter motor - start there!

you can check the health of your battery yourself using a multi meter. I'm sure i've posted about doing this before. principal is the same as for a motorcycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was the battery as suspected it decided not to start after work so I called the rac and they replaced it for free, turns out it was the original battery so going on for 10 years old so it didn't do too bad!