Super cheap stuff from aldi

Are they really good? I saw a jacket CE certified level 2 for about 80 quid. I can hardly believe it, the cheapest I found are from Scott Leather and it's 280. I'll definitely go and check. Any of you owns some of their clothing equipment?

I've got a few pairs of their thermals. Their merino wool ones especially are pretty good. I'll need to pop in and get some more now!

Cannot comment on their motorcycle stuff as they only make it for Guys, so none of it fits me.

I wouldn't worry so much about the 'safety' aspects of the gear they sell... all helmets for road use have to satisfy the european standard and the standard for gear is fairly stringent too. the fact that its non-branded isn't a concern for gear at this price point. the gear comes from the same factories that produce 'own brand' gear for shops and such like. they get the prices down to rock bottom by producing the gear during off peak hours and times in between other orders - pretty much standard operating procedure for Aldi and Lidl stuff. whether its kitchen equipment. garage gear or bike gear. I wouldn't expect it to last more than a year and that probably suits some people who can't afford a £200 helmet.. (for instance) but can cope with a £40 one that lasts a year or so. Their jackets and so on may not be the bees knees so far as waterproofing is concerned. but will be fine for the needs of the average biker on a budget who is more likely to drive when the skies open. certainly the gear is popular enough.. it tends to fly off the shelves almost as soon as it arrives. these can't all be 'new' customers. I would imagine most know what to expect and are replacing the Aldi gear they bought last year or the year before that is now past its best.

+1 on the thermals. Get the base layers as well from there, either the pedal bike or work ones are the same anyway just in a different box.

Haven't tried the gear but am tempted by the textiles for the oh. Wanted the waterproof over suit last time it was on sale but they pulled it at the last minute

I wouldn't worry so much about the 'safety' aspects of the gear they sell... all helmets for road use have to satisfy the european standard and the standard for gear is fairly stringent too. the fact that its non-branded isn't a concern for gear at this price point. the gear comes from the same factories that produce 'own brand' gear for shops and such like. they get the prices down to rock bottom by producing the gear during off peak hours and times in between other orders - pretty much standard operating procedure for Aldi and Lidl stuff. whether its kitchen equipment. garage gear or bike gear. I wouldn't expect it to last more than a year and that probably suits some people who can't afford a £200 helmet.. (for instance) but can cope with a £40 one that lasts a year or so. Their jackets and so on may not be the bees knees so far as waterproofing is concerned. but will be fine for the needs of the average biker on a budget who is more likely to drive when the skies open. certainly the gear is popular enough.. it tends to fly off the shelves almost as soon as it arrives. these can't all be 'new' customers. I would imagine most know what to expect and are replacing the Aldi gear they bought last year or the year before that is now past its best.

Regarding the helmet, since I have to change my Arai gp5 I'm thinking to buy an X-Lite 702 GP or HJC IS-17, both 5 star SHARP. And for the safety, if it's get CE certification level 2 is not just a matter of "we tell you that this is good", but the gear has been tested and validated. Do they really want to cheat on this? one can taking them to court for this. So I trust CE certification, which should guarantee at least a good protection. My textile jacket is still very good, I would buy something else only for the sake of protection. I can't enter anymore in my leather jacket though.. have to lose some weight :)

all helmets for road use have to satisfy the european standard and the standard for gear is fairly stringent too. the fact that its non-branded isn't a concern for gear at this price point.

The jacket and trousers that Aldi had this year got a very good write-up somewhere for their quality. I bought the trousers, but being sold in spring I did not get much use out of them because the lining is not removable so a bit hot for summer. They feel strong though.

Anyway, I got a free helmet with my CBT last year so wore that initially, but thought it would be a good idea to buy a Lidl one anyway so I had a spare. Plus it gave me a flip option. The visor on my free helmet disintegrated though so I switched to wearing Lidl one. Although I meant to get a "proper" one I just never got around to it.

Recently I ended up sliding off at 30mph dragging my head along the road a bit. Messed my elbow up (even with armour in the jacket), but despite pieces of plastic scratched out of the helmet it remained intact and my head was fine. And given they are instantly unusable once you hit the ground, there is nothing a more expensive lid could have done any better.

Although in this year I bought another Lidl helmet as my new spare, this experience has finally made me buy a branded one. Mainly though as it should be a bit lighter, hopefully a bit quieter, and for supporting pinlock. I never found the Lild one to feel too heavy, but I suffer from arthritis in the neck and so hope it would help anyway, and have no experience really to compare on noise.

So the only complaint I had with the Lidl was with it fogging up. But I doubt it is any worse that any other without some sort of protection on the visor, and there are stick-on options that could be used with it anyway.

Are they really good? I saw a jacket CE certified level 2 for about 80 quid. I can hardly believe it, the cheapest I found are from Scott Leather and it's 280. I'll definitely go and check. Any of you owns some of their clothing equipment?

£280 the cheapest you found for a normal ce certified leather jacket? You can get new RST leather jackets for £140. Though unsure what level 2 refers to.