Heya Stu, cheers for the suggestion.

He says so far he's:

Changed Fuel & Air Filter

Coolant Change

Kick Stand Sensor Cleaned

Carbs & Sparks Checked

New vid:

">

He says there is some corrosion on the battery terminal and he will be replacing it soon.

He says so far he's:

Coolant Change

Carbs & Sparks Checked

New vid:

">

He says there is some corrosion on the battery terminal and he will be replacing it soon.

Question, does the bike have an inline fuse connected to the battery? I had one on my 125, it did this kind of thing. check the fuse, removed it from the holder and tug the ends of the fuse. my fuse looked fine until we removed from the holder and found the cap has desoldered/corroded so would make connection and then go over a bump and it would move and disconnect the battery... new fuse and bingo all sorted.

just an idea

He says so far he's:

Coolant Change

Carbs & Sparks Checked

New vid:

">

Question, does the bike have an inline fuse connected to the battery? I had one on my 125, it did this kind of thing. check the fuse, removed it from the holder and tug the ends of the fuse. my fuse looked fine until we removed from the holder and found the cap has desoldered/corroded so would make connection and then go over a bump and it would move and disconnect the battery... new fuse and bingo all sorted.

just an idea

Well I said to him to about it and he's checked all the fuses and box inside and out and it was all OK and still having the issue. :(

I found a thread saying about valve clearances, could they cause the issue do you think?

Hello all i am the friend with the ninja possessed by a demon

to date the following has been done

Coolant changed

air filter changed

Fuel filter changed

Battery changed

Fuel tank inspected

fuel tank inspected for vacum

sparks and carbs checked for function

idle adjusted

side stand sensor cleaned

kill switch taken apart cleaned and put back on the bike

all fuses checked all visible wires checked for damage/corrosion at connectors

today i removed the clutch sensor from the cluch lever and had it connect only electrically(as its required to run the bike) and the bike ran with the side stand down and up but still cut out

for videos of the cut outs see my youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHz1Y ... ypFCagyyRQ

and for pictures from today see my facebook page BritNinja88 https://www.facebook.com/Britninja88-176338502563294/

thank you all for your advice so far and in the future this intermittent issue is so enraging

more about the issue please :)

when does it happen

does it happen every day? when did it start?

when it happens does it fire straight back up and run normal or do you have to give it a minute then will it run a little rough and clear?

if it happens when its cold and damp it will more than likely be carb icing

basically as i approach a junction or find i have to stop for whatever reason i will pull in the clutch lever and roll off the throttle and the revs will drop and the engine will turn off. the ignition is still on the lights and dash stay on. quick press of the starter button and its back on idle is normal and i can pull away like nothing is wrong.

in the past i have tried ot stay on the throttle to maintain the revs but they still drop and kill the engine

as well as that it happens weather i go down the gears or if i leave the selector alone.

and again even worse is the fact it will cut out at the end of the road after running fine ill start again and do several shifts up and down stop at lights or junctions no issue then at random it will happen again

happens every ride

started about 2 months ago and has become a daily issue

fires straight back up and runs fine till the next time it decides to do it.

no consistancy in cutting out with regards to location, weather, bike temp, riding style

happens more when engine is still warming up but does happen when engine has been running for some time.

noted today different tone when idle with the clutch held in and released could need a minor adjustment of the clutch cable

Hard to see from the vids.......but do the lights and other electrical stuff go off when it cuts out?

I would have thought that fuel starvation would cause the bike to stutter first, before cutting out? However, as it's a carbed bike, what are the carb diaphragms like? Any splits or holes in them could cause problems like this.

hmmm carb icing usually causes the bike to run rough when you do get it started again or it will need a few minutes before it will start again

as Tango says fuel starvation would cause the bike to stutter too!

there is something called silkolene ProFST if you can find it try it!

it stops carb icing! its an additive you add to your fuel!

the fact that it fires straight back up suggests to me that its not an electrical problem like a lose wire as the chances of the problem sorting itself out by the time you hit the starter is very slim!!

i will take you through the exact actions prior to a cut out. on approach to a junction or obstacle that will require i stop or slow down. i will pull in my clutch lever and roll off throttle at the same time. revs will drop to zero. lights and dash stay on.

this does not happen at every junction

this happens regardless of weather i touch the gear selector or not

this is also not affected by weather, time of day, engine temp, riding style, or current fuel

the engine fires straight back up. and returns to a normal idle

ideas i had but was told they were daft

Throttle cable stretched causing normal closing of throttle to close carb to quick temp starving the engine and stalling it

clutch cable need adjustment. although the bike does not creep or crawl it may need a slight adjustment

demon

aliens

curse

Dunno what carbs you have on the bike........but if they're CV and a diaphragm or 2 are split it can cause the slides to drop too quickly, which will starve the engine of fuel before the pilot jets can take over.......just a thought...... :wink:

providing your tick over is set right then the cables will have no affect on the carbs when closed as you can make the butterfly's go past the idle screw :)

clutch cable wont have an affect either to be honest

I would be tempted to strip the carbs and give them a good clean and check everything out

how doe the bike idle? is it spot on or does the needle flicker? you may benefit from a carb balance too

idle does flicker a little im thinking you may be right ill have to get the carbs off cleaned and balanced get a completely new set of sparks as well make a proper go of this but itll have to wait until payday as im skint from recent work done to it.

this has moved beyond my technical skill now. though tbh i am amazed i changed the coolant without the bike bursting into flames haha

i will hijack TheLuisVlogsOne this week on his day off to give me a hand trying these if possible

it currently idles at approx 1300 after upping it slightly the other day when doing the coolant change. dont want to raise it to much more. thing is like i say 90% of the time it drops to idle fine no chugging no issues but that 10% it doesnt chug it doesnt sputter just dies instantly

exactly its what is annoying me so much. im not gifted when it comes to problems mechanical but i can do a bit. these intermittent issues however have stumped a garage and me. all i can do is keep at it till its a job only a garage can do. but regardless i shall continue to keep this thread updated incase anyone else suffers this terrible problem

well i have used the ninja nearly everyday since i bought it through all sorts of weather. it has never had an issue like this until the last few months. It started slow maybe once a week and has gotten worse and worse i took it to a garage who in 80 miles of riding didnt see it once but as you will see from the videos its a definate issue. its got me completely stumped

Had same problem zzr600, after 2 weeks trying traced it to kill switch, took it off sprayed all inside with electrical contact cleaner after leaving to dry for 30 min put it back on. Had no problem since and it cheap if it doesn't work so worth a try. Tim