z750 - grinding noise when cold.

Guest Phil Young

Hi folks,

Thought I'd throw this out there see if anyone can come up with what's going on...

So my girlfriend's z750 makes a grinding noise coming from what sounds like the bottom of the engine, only when it's cold. In addition to the noise, she complains of a bit of engine braking as well.

When the engine is warm it's fine, but happens every day without fail when cold.

Oil recently changed, didn't help (semi synth 10w 40 is in).

Any ideas???

Yeah.....I was wondering if the noise went away when the clutch is pulled in, it may point to a gearbox issue.......otherwise it'll be something on the primary side. Maybe starter gear or sprag not disengaging correctly....... :?

My Z1000 has a clutch that's noisey as hell until you pull the lever. Its been like it since new.

Does pulling the lever make a difference or just the time the engine has been running from cold ?

Might sound stupid but if its just on pull away, is the drive chain adjusted/lubed correctly and not a sticky link ?

Failing that could be sticky plates in the clutch.

Might sound stupid but if its just on pull away, is the drive chain adjusted/lubed correctly and not a sticky link ?

Failing that could be sticky plates in the clutch.

yes, drive chain has been adjusted and fine.

I'm thinking along the lines of gearbox/clutch to be honest... clutch plates... if this was the case I'd expect some slipping?!

Googling seems to suggest a common complaint although there seems to be no definitive answer. Dunno what milage its done but could be worn basket/sticking plates ?

Get your ear onto the end of a long screwdriver and go round the engine and gearbox to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, Phil...... :wink:

A loose clutch basket could cause the noise.....but not necessarily mean clutch slip or drag...... :wink:

Get your ear onto the end of a long screwdriver and go round the engine and gearbox to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, Phil...... :wink:

A loose clutch basket could cause the noise.....but not necessarily mean clutch slip or drag...... :wink:

When someone first told me about this i thorght they was havving me on lol.

When someone first told me about this i thorght they was havving me on lol.

It does work, just make sure the engine is not running and you wear the appropriate safety gear :thumb:

LOL, another YBR. Been looking at RD125LC's myself but not sure I can warrant the cost but might talk myself into it if I get shot of the CBR.

micron exhaust???

I actually owned a Mk1 RD125LC 28 years ago and bought a Micron for it at the time. My god it was loud. Microns and Allspeeds were all the rage then.

Sold the bike for £400 and threw in the Micron with it. All these years later, I wish I had kept it now :(