Noise Whilst Riding

Guest ellyduley

Hi everyone, I am doing some research for a university product design project.

If you could answer the questions below that would be really helpful.

How does noise effect you whilst riding your motorcycle?

If you rode a larger engined/faster motorcycle how do you think it would be different?

Do you currently use any products to combat noise?

What sounds would you like to block out?

What would a product do that would help with these effects? e.g seal ears from road noise/wind or block out certain sounds.

Would you prefer a product that would be integrated when you buy your helmet or a separate product?

Thank you in advance!

Elly

I wear standard, disposable ear plugs. Work the same no matter what bike I am on and what speed I am doing. The earphones from my Scala headset also block out noise, even if I'm not listening to anything at the time.

So noise didn't effect me when I ride, and it doesn't matter what I'm riding.

I'm happy using what I do.

Wind noise seems to be the most contributing factor to become deaf for me ;)

Even though my bike is really loud, my hearing seems fine after a long ride (going generally slow), compared to a shorter ride whilst going at high speeds (e.g. motorway), when I definitely notice that I'm a bit deaf for a short while...

I either use in ear earplugs and listen to music, or use mouldable earplugs.

Wind noise seems to be the most contributing factor to become deaf for me ;)

Even though my bike is really loud, my hearing seems fine after a long ride (going generally slow), compared to a shorter ride whilst going at high speeds (e.g. motorway), when I definitely notice that I'm a bit deaf for a short while...

What he said! One day I'll invest in some ear plugs.

Now and again I also get this whining noise after I get home which can last some time but I'm getting better at ignoring it. :-)

If I'm munching motorway miles then always slap in ear plugs as no matter what helmet I wear there is always a high pitch whistle that kills my ears.

If I'm scratching about then no plugs as mess up more of my down blips as cant hear the revs properly :)

If you can find a way to design plugs that actually work and keep everything under 80db and discreet enough for us bikers with glasses as when I slide my glasses in they always knock my plugs lol.