YBR off-road conversion.

Guest Phil Young

I'm intrigued to see this, but for some reason my work computer always blocks your images. Only yours, nobody else - very odd! Will take a peek on my phone when I'm on break.

Same.. Phil is using a strange image hosting service!

Just had a look. Its a Facebook CDN server..

Phil, use the image hosting on your blog or Google photos. That wont be blocked so much.

The rims are the stock ones though, aren't they? Didn't they do some of the earlier YBRs with spoked rims? I'd be half tempted to get a set of those to avoid the risk of knackering the cast ones. Looking good all in all, though!

The rims are the stock ones though, aren't they? Didn't they do some of the earlier YBRs with spoked rims? I'd be half tempted to get a set of those to avoid the risk of knackering the cast ones. Looking good all in all, though!

To my knowledge, YBR's have always had cost spokes and is a major influencing factor in why I went with that instead of a CG...

I'm getting another pair of wheels to fit the pilot streets onto, that way it takes me 30 mins to change from road to off road than the 2.5hrs it took me to change the tyres to tube ones...

Going to the lake district next year where I'll be doing a fair amount of off tarmac stuff - probably will take 2 sets of wheels and change them as and when needed!

Going to the lake district next year where I'll be doing a fair amount of off tarmac stuff - probably will take 2 sets of wheels and change them as and when needed!

Are you taking a back up vehicle??

Why would I need that?

In August I'm going to Spain on it btw:)

Just strapping the wheels to your back then??

Probably between the top box and the Trent on the rear seat if I can... Otherwise I'll just go up there with the pilot streets and do the out road stuff on them.

Seconding that, should be an impressive spectacle! A bit like this I'm hoping:

http://pbr1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/mbx5tbasher/italytrippics044.jpg

I've seen people carrying spare tires but never with the rims in them, that's pretty hardcore :lol: As a thought, you could stick a full on knobbly on the front and a more hard wearing road biased tire on the rear, that's a fairly popular way of getting around it. Planning on doing that to the BMW when I finally get around to ordering new tires :oops:

Or another idea, you could always ship the off road rims to a forum member who lives near the lake district and collect them once you arrive so you aren't too overloaded on the way up there.

So I'm guessing from what you said about avoiding spoked rims when buying the bike that you didn't have all this planned out when you first bought the YBR? Glad that getting a little bike has been working out so well for you, I've been having a great laugh on mine too. Amazing just how much you can fling the thing around when it's so light and low, real change from a big adventure bike.

Ollie, if I were to go with just one knobbly - it would have to be the rear as that's where traction is needed for the drive and braking is more effective with the rear off-tarmac. But the front will still tramline so it's not really a good option anyway... I might just go up there with the knobblers on anyway, they aren't too bad on road as long as you are cautious with the steep corners.

I hadn't planned to convert it at all - I never tried green laning before I got my YBR but I'm pretty much hooked now lol.

Small bikes are amazing fun - I reckon everyone should have one. Now I just look at people comutting on their big bikes and laugh. This one guy today on his ZZR1400, couldn't get through so started revving his engine lol... I just thought he was a knob and went round on my little YBR haha. I also think "did I really have my head screwed on to commute on an R1!?"

Without a doubt I have more fun on my YBR than my R1... it just does everything better, with the exception of speed of course.

Everyone seems to think they can't go the distance either but they are so bloody basic, and the single cylinder means there's much less chance of a malfunction than say, an inline. I guess the counter argument is that when there is an issue like a coil problem, it is pretty much unridable...

Even coming from my side of things where my big bike is also a single, it's still a lot easier to keep such a basic little air cooled engine alive. You can dismantle the top end with the engine still in the bike if you really want, and I'm yet to find a task that can't be handled with the toolkit under the battery compartment - and I more or less dismantled the entire bike when I first got it, so there can't be many things left to encounter :lol: On the flip side, changing the spark plug on my BMW requires removing all the plastics and most of the airbox (would be easier if I had smaller hands, admittedly) and the toolkit is practically useless - doesn't even include the tools needed for an oil change or adjusting the chain! :roll:

Yeah, it was the fun factor that led me to get it. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy riding a bigger bike, but I had a good long hard think about my favourite rides I've ever done and almost all of them were on my old Lexmoto. You don't take anything for granted on a little bike, and you have the think one hell of a lot more when you're riding it. And you can have fun getting accustomed to squeezing every last drop of performance out of it, which I find pretty satisfying, all without risking death or penalty points :P

On the mixed tyres note - yeah, I know that it compromises on rear traction in the soft stuff. It's not a perfect solution by any means, just a balancing act. Helps reduce rear tyre wear on a longer trip such as Spain and back, but also less keeps the front end from getting a bit vague once you're off the beaten track. I wasn't necessarily meaning knobbly front and road tyre rear, more something like a dualsport rear, something analogous to Metzeler Tourance or Conti TKC70 that can handle the dirt a bit better but doesn't shred on tarmac like a knobbly will (if something like that is available in the right size, didn't bother looking :P). Jack of all trades master of none sort of stuff, preferable to riding full knobbly on road or road tyres in mud and gravel. Some of the ADVrider lot recommended it highly when I've been talking about doing some stupid things on my F650 in the new year, seen it advocated on Horizons Unlimited too. I'll doubtless post a review of how it works out on the BMW whenever I get round to it :thumb:

Spain will definitely be on the michelin pilot streets - they are so bloody fun to corner with.

If you haven't got them on yours and can get them, I recommend them.

To be honest, the ME22's are "good enough" but I wanted a faster fall in and better grip in the wet. The pilots are yet to slip in any condition...

Nice, good to know! My front isn't looking so great so I'll be changing them some time soonish. Need to sort out the front drum while I'm there, bit of a pain in the arse but certainly less hassle than the rebuild that the BMW's front brake needs.

I have fully booked evenings today and Friday...

Today, oil change on mine and my girlfriend's bike, she needs clutch plates changing since they got burned on a green lane lol and she needs a new master cylinder.

Friday I need to replace the oil and seals on my forks :cry: