Eurotunnel advice please

Zipster

A group of us are heading over to the Somme Centenary next year and intend to do some touring around Europe before heading for home.

Having never used the Eurotunnel before I'm looking for advice as to whether we should book our tickets in advance or is it ok to just land to the terminal in Calais when we're ready to go home?

I would rather we had some flexibility on our trip.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Book in advance.. if you arrive and pay on the day the price is extortionate (£100+) its best to book as soon as you can.. at some seemingly arbitrary point before your crossing, the price begins to creep up.

they allow you to be, I think, 2 hours late. after that they may charge you extra.

I do a yearly trip with a few guys.. and we tend to break up the journey by travelling down the day before, (one couple come from the lake district) and stay at the Travelodge near Ashford, then its just a 10 mile ride to the tunnel. same for the return.. some stay another night. as we've already done a 270+ mile day to get to calais, its too much for them to do another 300 miler.

Cheers guys. It's our return I'm trying to plan so I'll have to fit in a stopover close to Calais in order to guarantee our 2 hour time slot. Thanks again.

make sure you keep the top box locked if stopping near calais and check it again before boarding the train as its a fine of up to £2000 for each person caught stowed away and im sure they would try and get a few in there

Hello Zipster

I have travelled a few times to the continent and on a couple of times i have arrived a day early at Calais. Instead of finding a hotel i tried my luck at the tunnel and got a place home, you may have a couple of hours to wait but gives you chance to get your head down to refresh for the last push home [emoji4]

Hello Zipster

I have travelled a few times to the continent and on a couple of times i have arrived a day early at Calais. Instead of finding a hotel i tried my luck at the tunnel and got a place home, you may have a couple of hours to wait but gives you chance to get your head down to refresh for the last push home [emoji4]

when you say you 'tried your luck' do you mean you had a return booked for the next day and turned up a day early.. put your booking number or credit card into the machine and it gave you a crossing? or something else happened. you spoke to a member of staff.

You can also be 2 hours early and they'll try and fit you on an earlier train than the one you've booked

Nah, I mean who would be as daft as to turn up early?? :laugh:

I thoroughly enjoyed my drenching on that trip thank you :booty:

Shorty/Temeraire

Yes turned up a day early, with my return booking did the booking thing at the terminal with credit card and i got a place on a later crossing.

Temeraire

I didn't intend to drive 900 miles in one day i was gonna take a break in Calais, but thought, once across the channel ive only 300 miles to get home [emoji52]

(Ps i was in my car not on my bike on both occasions)

Shorty/Temeraire

Yes turned up a day early, with my return booking did the booking thing at the terminal with credit card and i got a place on a later crossing.

That is really useful to know... even at 04:30 am. :D

Temeraire

I didn't intend to drive 900 miles in one day i was gonna take a break in Calais, but thought, once across the channel ive only 300 miles to get home [emoji52]

(Ps i was in my car not on my bike on both occasions)

Fltchr123 - My comment was aimed at Deso's post I quoted rather than your comments so please accept my apologies if it seemed rather harsh! Good to know Eurotunnel are that flexible though.

My trips this year proved they are rather accommodating and forgiving when carrying bikes. On my outward trip I missed my train due to a daft mechanical issue (self-inflicted!) I arrived at the terminal, got my boarding card for a train leaving a good three hours later and promptly ignored it and tagged on the back of the queue of the next train to leave! Job done.

On the return trip my traveling companion and I arrived at the terminal several hours early. I was allocated to the next bar one train to leave. My mate a train, I think, 2 or three trains later. He simply followed me onto my train!

They don't seem to have a problem with this providing there's space on the train. Could well be different with a larger vehicle than a bike of course.

• 3 months later...

As others have said, it is best to have an Advanced Booking or you will get stung.

I have arrived early and late with an Advanced Booking and always got the next next but one train at no extra charge.

I did arrive on one occasion without a Booking when I had intended to use the ferry but they had gone on strike again. I was fleeced well and truly. Fortunately I wasn't footing the bill :D