Seatbelt inspection for MOT

Aky208

My estate is up for its MOT next month so I carried out a few cursory checks recently. I found that the centre seat belt on the rear seat wouldn't extend from its retracted position. It was so tight against the seat back that it had snapped the plastic trim around the hole the belt is fed, in the top of the seat. It was also beginning to cut through the fabric. I imagine that the belt was snagged in some mechanical part when the rear seats were lowered/raised. I couldn't free it so I ended up cutting it out.

My question is would this be a failure on the MOT?

I have had a look at the MOT testing procedure and it seems to suggest only fitted belts are examined. But doesn't mention anything about missing belts.

I should mention that I have every intention of refitting the belt but as the other two are occupied by child seats, the centre seat is not going to be used for the distant future. I am wondering if I could save myself the hassle for a little while longer.

Thanks in advance :D

When my audi went in for MOT the baby seat was still in the back.The car passed, but i got an advisory that the rear right seat belt was not able to be tested due to baby seat in the way....

Do you know anyone with a baby seat you can borrow?? ;)

should be a quick in out job with a part from a scrappy. but yes, if the seatbelt is supposed to be fitted and is not or is broken, your mot is failed. you could alter your reg with electrical tape and make it look like a 1960's model...

Thanks all. Looks like I might as well replace it. The only snag is that, as it's a three point harness, I will have to cut into the back of the seat to do it. :?

must be a way into the seat from somewhere does the rear of the seat not use press studs or something similar as a lot of rear seats do

Yes it will fail. If its fitted and non operational/ frayed its toast. Replace if you can or remove completely, but you must remove both the belt mech and the clip

You can't remove it completely to get a pass, it is a five seat car, so has to have 5 seat belts by law.

I've already ordered a replacement belt so will try to fit it once it's arrived. Had another look at the back of the seat today and can't see any obvious fixings to take it apart, but maybe I'm looking and not seeing. Wouldn't be the first time. :oops:

Thanks for all your inputs :D