Boyesen reeds, use oem stop or custom rev-plate?

KTM21

I've installed some boyesen reeds on the dt but I'm not sure to use the stock reed stop or not. The reeds didn't come with a rev-plate and it says in the instructions that if a rev-plate is not included, you should use the standard stop. But lots of people have said the oem stop basically acts as a restriction for the reeds. Some people have also increased the angle of the oem stop by bending it to allow the reeds to open slightly more. It would be really easy to fabricate a rev-plate, So what do you think I should do? btw it's a right pain to get the reed block out of the dt so I don't really want to have to have it out again.

This is what the standard stops look like:

IMG_2341.thumb.JPG.4f25396e7a236a99a3ed64d844ce3fbc.JPG

The boyesen reeds are on the right, they're the dual stage design so there is two layers. The stock reeds are on the left.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a742e590f8d34c2fa43137e106c3fda2.jpg

IMG_2390.thumb.JPG.127b55dae5c695360c0ca71e1a3fe2cd.JPG

*Caveat: my 2 stroke knowledge is old and I've probably forgotten a lot*

I thought stop angle was more to do with the power profile rather than power output - i.e. shifting the power band up or down the rev range. If it were me I'd bung the OEM back in and see what's what.

It would be interesting to make up a load of different stops and see which is the best but that would take ages and cost a fortune in dyno time unless you just happen to have a flow bench.

*Caveat: my 2 stroke knowledge is old and I've probably forgotten a lot*

I thought stop angle was more to do with the power profile rather than power output - i.e. shifting the power band up or down the rev range. If it were me I'd bung the OEM back in and see what's what.

It would be interesting to make up a load of different stops and see which is the best but that would take ages and cost a fortune in dyno time unless you just happen to have a flow bench.

I think you're right, at the end of the day, it didn't come with the rev-plate for a reason so I'll use the oem stops and see if there's any improvement.