Fuel starvation?

seanycozzie16v

So was on the dual carriageway nicely tootling along at 60 when the bike just lost all power and died. This was at full throttle. Let the throttle off and started pumping it to get it to go again. It eventually did and power came back but it was spluttering and everything. It's as if it was being starved of fuel. Did it again at a junction. Started back up again but was very hesitant at revving at idle. Like a delay. Pulled the plugs out. They are new btw and they are like a browny white with no blackness to then at all?

check how many turns the mixture screw is out by counting it as you screw it in then bring it back out about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns and see how it is

don't screw it in tight, you'll damage the tip

found the issue. pulled the float bowl off and found a bit of dirt lying at the bottom of the bowl. adjusted the float height again and also added a inline filter to catch any dirt from the tank. seems to be ok now. but i find i have to run a tiny bit of choke all the time to keep it running

Have you cleaned it? Get some spray carb cleaner (£6-7 from Halfords), take all the jets, screws, tubes, floats etc out of the carb and spray it in all the knooks and crannies and through any holes and such.

been taken apart and cleaned numerous times. i've been thinking. i fancy upping the size of the jets to the next size. main jet and pilot jet. they are only a couple of quid on ebay so should i? the pilot jet in this mikuni bds26 carb is a #20 and the main jet is a 102.5. i'm really at my wits end here

Are they the correct sizes in there at the mo? I'd be tempted to get a fresh set of jets and screws in case the old ones are damaged (easily done) and sonicate the carb body. Changing the jet sizes only works if you know everything else is functioning correctly. From what you've said, it sounds like you still have a blockage.