Two policies, one car

grunthorpe

Good morning all,

So I just tried to add my (learner) sister to my car insurance. I have a 1200cc Ford Fiesta. Apparently the car is too big and scary for them to insure her so they offered me a new policy with a different underwriter at about a 350% price increase. I kindly told them to sod off.

So my question is, can my sister take out her own insurance with a different company on the same vehicle? As usual Google seems to be woefully unhelpful on the subject but you guys seem to have a really broad knowledge base.

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm quite surprised as when my sons learnt the increase was pretty small, I remember being pleasantly surprised but was also warned that when they actually passed it would cost a lot more, and it worked out at over £1000 extra. Apparently all Saabs are sports cars, even automatic estates. It worked out cheaper to run and old banger for the pair of them and a lot more convenient.

Might be worth trying these guys.

When my daughter was learning, we took a policy out with them and they tagged it onto the main policy for blocks of 3 months at a time. We retained the normal policy, this was an add on, but remained legal and was tailored for learners wanting to learn in a private vehicle.

It cost about £30 a month when we did it about 4 years ago, so it may have increased a bit, but it was affordable, sensible and did not affect the main policy.

I have recommended them to a few friends since and it has worked for them as well

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LDI%20-%20Brand%20-%20Marmalade%20-%20Exact&utm_term=marmalade%20insurance&utm_content=Brand%20-%20Insurance%20-%20Exact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that doesn't work cost wise then try

https://www.insurelearnerdriver.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all your help everyone, turns out compare the market could give me a much more reasonable quote, was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to cancel the insurance I got last month :D

Thanks for all your help everyone, turns out compare the market could give me a much more reasonable quote, was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to cancel the insurance I got last month :D

That is why I suggested Marmalade. Did you look at it? You do not cancel your current policy, this is a bolt on policy

That is why I suggested Marmalade. Did you look at it? You do not cancel your current policy, this is a bolt on policy

Yeah I did thanks, the new policy I'm looking at only comes to about £30 extra a month, appreciate the tip though, will keep that in mind for future reference