Bike licence, CBT and A2

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and am interested in gaining my bike licence.

I'm 20 years old and am an experienced rider - I race Nortons so I'm very familiar with riding bikes and especially old ones. I don't know an awful lot about gaining my licence and the processes. I want to get a old 1950's Triumph Tiger cub (200cc) could I do my CBT on it? As I would be better suited on an old bike.

And after the CBT is it then A2?

Also what are the regulations in terms of clothing for the CBT and A2 - full leather suit, mc boots, gloves or is it a bit more relaxed?

I would love to know the process I would have to do, and whether or no I can buy the bike first and gain my CBT and A2 licence on my triumph tiger?

Thanks!

Jim.

Hello!

Wow racing Nortons sounds fun!

After the CBT you can only ride bikes up to 125cc. This makes it difficult to then do your A2 on a 200cc as you won't legally be able to ride it to and from places without an instructor present.

IIRC there are no "musts" clothing wise for bikes except for the helmet. I'm not going to recommend stuff, I am sure as a racer you have fallen off at speeds much greater than you will do at the CBT but you probably also know the value of good protection! Gloves and lid will be provided if you don't bring your own, some places have other gear too.

I still get confused about the whole A2 to full shenanigans so I can tell you for the A2 you will need to do a mod1 (slow speed maneuvers) and then a mod2 (road test) then there are limitations to what you can ride power wise and at some point you can get a full licence by previously mentioned shenanigans :lol: (I'm old so just went straight for the DAS).

Hello!

Wow racing Nortons sounds fun!

After the CBT you can only ride bikes up to 125cc. This makes it difficult to then do your A2 on a 200cc as you won't legally be able to ride it to and from places without an instructor present.

IIRC there are no "musts" clothing wise for bikes except for the helmet. I'm not going to recommend stuff, I am sure as a racer you have fallen off at speeds much greater than you will do at the CBT but you probably also know the value of good protection! Gloves and lid will be provided if you don't bring your own, some places have other gear too.

I still get confused about the whole A2 to full shenanigans so I can tell you for the A2 you will need to do a mod1 (slow speed maneuvers) and then a mod2 (road test) then there are limitations to what you can ride power wise and at some point you can get a full licence by previously mentioned shenanigans :lol: (I'm old so just went straight for the DAS).

Hello! thanks for the response,

It is indeed haha!

Right okay hmm :? So could I just rent a 125 there as I have no desire to buy a 125cc as I wouldn't want to ride one on the road. And then once I have done my CBT then do my A2 by renting a bike also?

After doing my A2 can I then ride a bike up to 500cc? :scratch:

Regards,

Jim.

Yo Jim

The cost of the CBT (about 100 of your finest british pounds) includes the bike use as well so you can zoom around on that. You can do it on a twist and go but as you can ride you'll probably be bored on that so request a geared bike when you book.

Mention to the training school you want to do your A2 - this may get you a better price if you do it all at the same place and you'll be able to see what bikes they use for the A2. They may even offer a free assessment ride on the larger bike to see how much training they recommend - sounds like you can ride so just need to get "test ready" - do you have a car license? knowing how the roads work is most of the battle :lol:

The A2 has weird power to weight ratio limit madness I don't understand. Hopefully someone useful will show up soon :lol: :lol:

Yo Jim

The cost of the CBT (about 100 of your finest british pounds) includes the bike use as well so you can zoom around on that. You can do it on a twist and go but as you can ride you'll probably be bored on that so request a geared bike when you book.

Mention to the training school you want to do your A2 - this may get you a better price if you do it all at the same place and you'll be able to see what bikes they use for the A2. They may even offer a free assessment ride on the larger bike to see how much training they recommend - sounds like you can ride so just need to get "test ready" - do you have a car license? knowing how the roads work is most of the battle :lol:

The A2 has weird power to weight ratio limit madness I don't understand. Hopefully someone useful will show up soon :lol: :lol:

Okay thanks for clearing that up, yeah would prefer a geared one on the day. How long does it take to do you CBT and A2?

Yes that would be good to get it done at the same place. Do you have any recommendations for good test centres around Oxfordshire? A free assessment ride sounds good, yeah been riding bikes since I was a kid so should fair okay. Yes I have a car and been driving for 3 years so Im quite 'road savy'!

Regards,

Jim.

CBT is less than a day - normally from say 9 till 3 or 4 depending on how quickly the group manages to get to grips with the slow control stuff.

The A2 is dependant on how many training days you need.

The actual Mod1 part is literally 10 minutes

Mod 2 I believe is around 45 minutes (mine felt like 5!)

The cost of these are built into the training package so you may have a three day course that will be day 1 mainly mod 1 stuff, then day 2 may be test in the morning then mod 2 stuff int he afternoon and day 3 you may have a lunch time test so training in the morning. The tests can get booked up a while in advance although most centres will have block booked tests but there may be several days or even a week or more between mods. There is the option to take Mod1 in the AM and then Mod2 in the PM but of course if you don't pass the first one you are unable to go for mod2 and will have to pay again for that bit.

Also if you fail you have to leave a certain amount of time before you try again (I believe 3 days).

OH! and before you can do the Mod 1 you will need to get your Theory test (yup it's a seperate one for bikes!) done. You will need to book this yourself through the gov website. This is valid for two years so the sooner you can get it done and dusted the better!

edit - sorry no idea of places in oxford - run some searches for places near you see what the reveiws say and give them a call to see what prices are etc :thumb:

Edited by Hoggs

OH! and before you can do the Mod 2 you will need to get your Theory test

What?! When I arrived in UK and asked, I've been told (or I understood) that you could do the CBT whithout the theory test but needed it before starting mod1!

I read books and articles all day long as a job and I couldn't be bothered reading more stuff in the evening or preparing a test (in my case, it meant learning a lot of new vocabulary, sign roads I'm not familiar with all, etc. It was a bit of work)... I tried but all I wanted/needed to do was outdoor activities. Starting mod1 training directly would have been such a great motivation for the theory test! I could have had my driving licence 2 years ago! Crap!

Crap!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooops that was an epic typo and should have said mod1 :roll: I have amended

but but you can start the training without it... you just can't do the actual test

Clothing wise, your instructors can normally provide helmet gloves and jacket unless you have your own of course and you will also need AT LEAST thick jeans, so no fashion jeans....skinny jeans are a no no :lol: and a pair of boots that covers your ankle, these can be doc Martins or work boots etc....however it's usually best to get kitted out as you're going to need it when you pass anyway. Check out eBay for second hand stuff or the bike bay on Facebook as there's always people selling clothing on there.

I'm sure when you book your cbt though they will tell you what you will be required to wear on the day.

I'm a lot more clued up about it all now thanks! Theory test doesn't sound nice I failed my driving theory test 3 times! :roll: I think I will get on with looking for a good place nearby for me to do it all at, and give em a call.

Clothing wise I'm fine I was just wondering if I go in my full race attire which might look a bit keen stepping onto a 125 haha but got a leather jacket, boots and good gloves so that would be fine.

Thanks for the responses guys really appreciate it.

Regards,

Jim.

I'm a lot more clued up about it all now thanks! Theory test doesn't sound nice I failed my driving theory test 3 times! :roll: I think I will get on with looking for a good place nearby for me to do it all at, and give em a call.

Clothing wise I'm fine I was just wondering if I go in my full race attire which might look a bit keen stepping onto a 125 haha but got a leather jacket, boots and good gloves so that would be fine.

Regards,

Jim.

I downloaded the apps onto my phone for the theory....both the questions and hazard perception and I just kept doing the practice tests over and over in any spare minute I had until all the answers were ingrained into my brain!

I did my cbt In full leathers :thumb:

Welcome to TMBF Jim........ 8-)

I believe a lot of training schools will include the CBT training in the A2 as part of the course if you don't already have it. As far as I know there's no hard and fast rules regarding bike gear......The only thing I would be worried about is if you turn up for your test in full race leathers the examiner may see you as a racing wannabe and may not give you as much slack as he would if you were in textiles......but that's only my thoughts.

Anyway, chat with local riding schools and you'll get a better idea of what you need to do...... 8-)

Hello everyone,

I'm 20 years old and am an experienced rider

Jim.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing I would be worried about is if you turn up for your test in full race leathers the examiner may see you as a racing wannabe ....................

:bike:

:popcorn:

He's experienced as he can ride a bike and know how gears etc works. He's not claiming in any way to be the best road rider and has come here asking sensible questions and showing a willingness to listen to advice.

Anyways Jim keep us updated with your progress and I'd love to see some pics of your race bikes :thumb:

I recently did my training and test with http://abbeymotorcycleinstructors.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who are south of Oxford at Culham, near Abingdon. They were friendly, helpful and I passed first time. Id recommend them based on my experience.

Sent from my phone.

Hello everyone,

I'm 20 years old and am an experienced rider

Jim.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing I would be worried about is if you turn up for your test in full race leathers the examiner may see you as a racing wannabe ....................

:D :bike:

:popcorn:

Haha I started competing at motocross at a young age with an Acu at 13 then moved onto classic road racing with Nortons and Ducati TT's. so 7 years of competitive riding.. I would say that's fairly experienced :D And my father came 4th in the Isle of Man TT and my grandfather 8th on Nortons so I have those riding genes :lol: anyway didn't mean to blow my own trumpet but wanted to show that I'm a serious rider and I'm Not claiming I'm experienced on the road I mean in general.

Hope that clears things up for you copycat. :booty:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim.

Edited by Jimmrjm

I recently did my training and test with http://abbeymotorcycleinstructors.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who are south of Oxford at Culham, near Abingdon. They were friendly, helpful and I passed first time. Id recommend them based on my experience.

Sent from my phone.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response, they sound great.

I will look them up.

Regards,

Jim.

He's experienced as he can ride a bike and know how gears etc works. He's not claiming in any way to be the best road rider and has come here asking sensible questions and showing a willingness to listen to advice.

Anyways Jim keep us updated with your progress and I'd love to see some pics of your race bikes :thumb:

Cheers Hoggs.

Will do and will send some pics over.

Jim.

Cheers Hoggs.

Jim.

Hope you like the pics, packed all the bikes away as the season has ended so a bit of a mess. :P

IMG_4731.JPG.30c45d697a38fc1bf9e30f5da99d6803.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG.583bf2e625e5c8eefa1780abb3b514d8.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG.689fae63df478043069b34163ddd94d2.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG.44a44ea076907d7e86d3ec987de48721.JPG

Regards,

Jim.

I downloaded the apps onto my phone for the theory....both the questions and hazard perception and I just kept doing the practice tests over and over in any spare minute I had until all the answers were ingrained into my brain!

I did my cbt In full leathers :thumb:

Hi Lisa,

Thats what I did with my car theory which worked really well for me so will probably do the same then.

Ah okay, I could do mine in full leathers actually they are quite understated :)

Kind regards,

Jim.

Cheers Hoggs.

Jim.

Hope you like the pics, packed all the bikes away as the season has ended so a bit of a mess. :P

Would love to be set free in that sweetie shop :shock: :D :thumb: