Kicks over, won't start

hardleydavidson

Hi,

This is really frustrating, the bike was working ok and would start on both the electric start and the kick, Having replaced the tank and fitted a new fuel line it will kick over but not start.

It has been sitting for quite a while so I've cleaned the carb and the jets, the fuel is definitely getting to the carb, I've also cleaned the spark plug and checked there is no corrosion on the earth terminal. The solenoid was making a horrendous machine-gun like clicking but I put this down to not enough juice in the battery. After a recharge the clicking has gone and it turns over but doesn't run. I also tried a bump start, engine sounds very bassy and dies as the bike loses momentum, never really starting. In desperation I've also pulled the air filter.

Can anyone think of something I may have missed?

I have tried that but think I might be doing it wrong, pulled the plug but didn't connect it anything metal on the engine, no spark which led me to think it might be the earth.

I'll try it tonight but my gut instinct is there's no spark, maybe a loose connection on the CDI or possiby an issue with the shutoff switch connection?

Does it attemp to start ... youve not trapped fuel line on tank removal/replace ?

Turned fuel tap on ?

Best thing to do is go backwards in your exploits

Take tank off

look for detached leads

Check the plug that possibly plugs into the solenoid isn't corroded on contacts .

Check fuses

I have tried that but think I might be doing it wrong, pulled the plug but didn't connect it anything metal on the engine, no spark which led me to think it might be the earth.

I'll try it tonight but my gut instinct is there's no spark, maybe a loose connection on the CDI or possiby an issue with the shutoff switch connection?

Need to touch the body of the plug to a good earth like when it is in the engine.

There's definitely fuel getting to the carb as I fitted clear fuel lines and can see it flowing freely through the fuel filter.

Possibly is a plug somewhere, the connectors on the solenoid do look rusty but it turns over so I'm guessing the starter is getting enough juice.

Just tested it and yes I have a spark.

Makes no sense to me, I have fuel, air, compression and a spark. The battery is charged and the stand is up (that one caught me out in the past) and the shut off is not on, all lights are off ad it's definitely in neutral.

It did start, almost, again very bassy and it turned over of its own accord for a couple of seconds then died as if it's being starved of something?? goodness only knows what.

Hi, you say it's very bassy when you try to start it, you have a spark and you have fuel with a wet plug.

I would then suggest you do a compression test that Basie noise might be a blown head gasket, piston ring or the valves might need attention, also check the exhaust system for air leaks and for oil in the exhaust pipe to. Keep us posted