What to revise for theory test?

Hello guys,

I am finally old enough to do my a2 :cheers:

I've been counting down the days since getting my 125 two years ago, not that I didn't enjoy that time though.

I'm going to be booking my theory test in the next couple of days but I'm not sure how much time to allow for revision etc. The next available day is nearly a month away, surely that's enough time. What is a good source of information that I can go over to prepare? I've done some mock tests online and past a couple but failed a couple as well so I definitely want to prepare a bit more for when I do the real thing.

Cheers

I've downloaded the UK Motorcycle Theory Test app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriverdev.moto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Works really well for me, although the proof will be when I do my theory test on Thursday! :lol:

Has the Highway Code on it (which is what you need to learn) and loads of questions. There's a free version to see if you like it, but I've paid the 2 quid for the full one.

There's another app to go with it which has lots of hazard perception test videos on it too, Hazard Perception Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriver.video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Took me a while to get to grips with them, but assuming they're as per the actual test then they've definitely helped. Claims that a number of the clips are official practice ones too.

My issue was that I was spotting the hazards, but not clicking at the right time, so was not getting scored for them correctly. Very frustrating to start with, but found that a few swift (but not too rapid) clicks when first seeing the hazard made my marks jump up. Been driving for 12 years so know what I'm doing, but the test drove me nuts to start with!

I am using it on a Note 4 though, which is a big phone, so unless you have a tablet or large phone I could imagine the videos being a bit small to see properly.

Will let you know how I do on Thursday, but from the few options I tried this was the first one I felt did the trick for me, and I liked having it in my phone for whenever I had a few spare minutes.

I've downloaded the UK Motorcycle Theory Test app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriverdev.moto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats just the sort of thing Im after, ill get the full version. Thanks mate

Also good luck with your theory :)

No worries - there are limited ways I can give back to the forum at the moment, rather than just milk you all for information, so am happy to help where I can!

I found the coach mode useful for mixing up the questions, rather than slog through everything on a single topic in one go, and you can keep going for as long it as little as you like.

Few more run-throughs of the hazard perception tests and hopefully I'm there! CBT booked for Sat too, which I'm looking forwards to!

To be honest when i did mine the multiple choice was mostly logic the stopping distances were my downfall.

The video ridden as a biker i scored very little on any practice tests. The only way i passed was thinking was when i actually thought the audi driver doing their makeup would stamp on their brakes. Its not when the hazard is present in front of you not when you see it. Pretty pointless really as a biker you look well in advance and prepare to protect yourself

Good luck with both your theorys though

I used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriverdev.motorcycle.hpt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (well, the iOS version) which is the full version of the second one Lateralus linked to, with both theory and the HPT videos.

Got full marks in the theory, so can vouch for that, but only just passed the hazard perception as it is was so easy to fail for over clicking in the app that it made me very hesitant to click to often for fear of disqualification.

Its not when the hazard is present in front of you not when you see it. Pretty pointless really as a biker you look well in advance and prepare to protect yourself

That is because the test is about developing hazards, not potential ones. If you spot something early enough you should be ready to take action when it develops, real life or on the test. Otherwise every video would either involve driving or riding through a baron wasteland or would just be a constant procession of hazards.

Not sure to what extent the app can claim credit, but I passed! 50/50 for multiple choice, and 70/75 for the hazard perception. :D 12 years' driving experience probably helps too...

Main observation is that the hazard videos are much clearer in the test than anything I've seen elsewhere, on a computer or my mobile, but it was definitely the bit I was most apprehensive about beforehand.

Not sure to what extent the app can claim credit, but I passed! 50/50 for multiple choice, and 70/75 for the hazard perception. :D 12 years' driving experience probably helps too...

Main observation is that the hazard videos are much clearer in the test than anything I've seen elsewhere, on a computer or my mobile, but it was definitely the bit I was most apprehensive about beforehand.

Well done mate, good luck with your riding test.