HELP ME ON MODULE 1!!

Hey guys.

I'm currently doing DAS A2 licence but I failed on module 1 three times on the same thing:U TURN!!I was doing fine when I'm practising at the carpark,yet I just couldn't do it at the exam site.Everytime when I was turning,I went too wide that I needed to drop my throttle and put my foot down at the very end.I'm so upset about it and I feel like I'm an idiot,however I still don't want to give up.Can anyone of you give me some advice on making a u turn?

Do not focus on the wall/fence or cones or whatever is there in front of you that indicates end of the white line. Nor think about small space that you have to make the maneuver.

Your full attention should get the END point. Before you set off just look at the side where you need to ended up. And measure in your head where is about half way of the line you will be starting next to. Get ready, check mirrors, start your bike up.Start riding as close to the line as possible. Then when you will be half way down do a quick look where YOU NEED TO END UP not where you are going and definitely do not look at the opposite white line! Just where you need to end up/stop your bike. That is also your time for a quick life-saver look. And then straight back to watch where you want to end up. Bike will lean same time you will keep watching End point....and will make a U-turn in that very moment "on its own". When you feel that bike lose the balance keep your eyes on the end point, rev it up....bit wobbly it's ok, it will be a pass :thumb:

Your next U turn will be successful :thumb:

Word up Sam.

sounds like you may have developed the dreaded *dun dun dun* yipps! you know you can do it but your brain is convinced you can't to the point it's sabotaging you. sadly shouting at your brain never helps.

luckily all the stuff Sleepy posted will. also remember there's no time limit on the mod 1. before you do the maneuver take a few big deep breaths. if you have developed an inverse reaction to the u turn your body will probably start producing adrenaline trying to be helpful. this is not helpful. deep breaths will clear this out your system.

so deep breaths. mirrors check mirrors check then as Sleepy said head up and find that exit point.

we all look forward to your post telling us you've nailed it :thumb:

My trick for getting the U turn to work without putting my foot down was to basically look behind me.

So, do a life saver. Into gear and set off, do another life saver but this time, keep looking back. Turn the bars and the bike will turn, you don't need much throttle, keep the clutch covered and pull it in slightly if you gain too much speed. Generally you will find that going a bit faster makes it easier than going to slow. The wheels spinning keeps the bike upright.

Have a look at this video to see what I mean about going quicker helps keep the bike upright.

">

Before my Mod 1 I spent many evenings in the local Morrisons car park practicing on my 125cc using the white parking lines as my virtual kerbs. I practiced all aspects (except the speed gun obviously) and made the turns tighter and tighter until it became routine and straight forward. By the time I sat my Mod 1 I was as prepared as I could be I think.

Knowing "how" is an absolute must so what's been said above is your step 1, but practice is the critical ingredient and often the difference between success and failure.

Remember, practice does not make perfect, practice only ever makes permanent. So make sure you're doing it properly when you're practicing...

PS. It's easier on the big bike during your test than on the wee 125cc you first learn on.

I failed twice on the U turn but on the third attempt passed by lightly covering the back brake as I went round to control my speed.

This enabled me to keep the throttle and clutch controls steady and concentrate on making the turn

Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try what Arwen said and also, when your practising it, make the space between the lines you use tighter than what you'll have in the mod 1. My instructor did this with me and when I got to my mod 1 it felt like I had bags of room!

Good luck! You're going to have a good laugh about this when you walk out of the test centre with your licence in your hand!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Easiest way is to go as slow as you can ride just on the clutch bite, look to where you want to go / end up and let the bike follow you . When my instructor was doing it he used the bar push technique, gently pushing the right side bar but thats not for me, or most. What also helps think of the most catchy song in your head and sing it to yourself, calms nerves in those I have failed before moments. :)

My trick for getting the U turn to work without putting my foot down was to basically look behind me.

So, do a life saver. Into gear and set off, do another life saver but this time, keep looking back. Turn the bars and the bike will turn, you don't need much throttle, keep the clutch covered and pull it in slightly if you gain too much speed. Generally you will find that going a bit faster makes it easier than going to slow. The wheels spinning keeps the bike upright.

Have a look at this video to see what I mean about going quicker helps keep the bike upright.

">

Exactly this for me, I failed MOD 1 as I put my footdown on the U-Turn.

Sam, I can see you are based just up the road in MK. Where are you doing your MOD 1, Leighton Buzzard?

when i did my mod1 i was trained on a smaller turning space (i didnt even know it until mod1) and i was told to keep revs higher, feather the clutch to get enough speed and if you think your going to drop on the turn, feed the clutch out a little bit to give it some speed to carry you through the turn.

It feels difficult at first but you soon get the knack. can you ask your instructor if you can do a lesson just learning to ride slower and slower until you have the knack of clutch throttle and back brake figured, then apply that to the u-turn?

Try what Arwen said and also, when your practising it, make the space between the lines you use tighter than what you'll have in the mod 1. My instructor did this with me and when I got to my mod 1 it felt like I had bags of room!

Good luck! You're going to have a good laugh about this when you walk out of the test centre with your licence in your hand!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I had the same. My training U-turn distance was much smaller than the 7.5 metres you have for the MOD 1 test. It helped though and there's plenty of room to get around. Was told to keep revs high, head up and dont look at curb. It worked for me.