Media interviews tomorrow

TC1474

Tomorrow I have to be up at 5am, in London for 7.45 and geared up for multiple radio interviews around the country during the day as a road safety expert and regarding our safety campaign relating to the turning off of mobile phones whilst driving.

I have been doing my homework in preparation for any questions that might be thown in my direction and it surprised me that in a recent survey, the number of drivers who thought it was not acceptable to use a hand held mobile had dropped from 84% in 2014 to 78% in 2016. In other words 22% of drivers think it is OK to use a hand held mobile whilst driving to make or receive calls, send texts or check social media. That is worrying.

Anyway, if any of you listen to local radio in your area, you may well hear my dulcet tones. At the last count, there were apparently about 18 radio stations who had booked an interview so it will be a long day, the last being at 5.20pm tomorrow night.

I can't believe how many people I filter past on the daily commute that are using their mobile phones whilst driving. Even though driving at a slow speed you can still spot them a mile off as they weave from one side of their lane to the other.

Thanks for your effort in getting the word across that it's just not safe to use a phone whilst driving.

weave from one side of their lane to the other.

I don't know how they do that, if you let go of the steering wheel the car goes in a straight line, unless you bump the kurb while texting. Oh hang on, some dozy twonk next to me is honking and swearing at me....

Did interviews with 14 radio stations across the country this morning all one after the other with 15 minutes allowed for each one. I was bloody knackered by the time we finished, but hey ho all in a good cause.

When I drove a community link bus for vulnerable adults taking them to their day centre in the mornings and home again in the afternoon, I would see unbelievable distractions. A white van bloke with a laptop clamped to the steering wheel, girls close to the mirror applying make-up, men shaving, magazines or newspapers being read as well as countless hand held mobiles in animated conversations. All this on the A12 around Chelmsford as they drove within feet of the vehicle in front at inappropriate speed. I retired from that part time job in 2014 and I wager the situation is a worse now.

Good luck, Tony.

Have you got any links to podcasts or such TC?

Would be cool to listen over :mrgreen:

I haven't but head office has or will have them. They were going to send them over and I asked then not to for the same reason I have not watched myself on the BBC Fake Britain programme I did 2 years ago.

I must have done OK though as a few of the stations have asked if I would be available to do further road safety related interviews in the future. I have agreed :shock: