IFTTT

Skimblet

Just simple things at the moment like, turning bits off or on, on my phone depending on my location. Have just got an amazon dot thing so going to look at turning lights on and off as I leave or get home

I have connected some energenie plug adaptors to the dot, so can turn a few lamps on and off with voice control, it does seem a bit gimmicky and I'm desperately trying to find useful applications for it, the wife on the other hand just thinks I'm a knobhead and should use the bloody switch like every other normal person

I've got a few bits, and use IFTTT amongst other things to link them up. I think we'll find as the years go by even more stuff will talk to more things.

For example, Logitech Harmony remotes (typically used to control the TV) will talk to some of the mart lights and sockets, with buttons for them on the remote. Amazon echo an turn Belkin wemo stuff on and off.

So for example today, I fitted the outside crimbo lights, into a Wemo plug, with an IFTTT applet to turn them on at sunset and off at 11pm. In addition I can ask Alexa (though the echo) to turn them on or off. I've not bothered to add them to the logitech remote. I've a few other IFTTT apps for turning the heating on if it's gonig to be cold (Nest thermostat), and cross posting facebook and twitter.

For me it's all just a bit too disparate. The christmas lights are probably the closest at the moment to genuinely useful. The rest are just fringe benefits.

I understand the concept but unaware of any actual uses? All I have is an iPhone and a laptop in my home, nothing "connected" so to speak.

Same here but I also lack the brain connection to actually work out these two :shock:

The christmas lights are probably the closest at the moment to genuinely useful. The rest are just fringe benefits.

I have also added the Xmas lights, just so that I can say "Alexa Turn Christmas On", this will then light tree and outside.

Not gone down the harmony route yet, mainly as I have BT youview which barely works with itself let alone anything else and from what I have read, you are not yet able to change channels via Alexa with it, which for me would be the main point of it

I don't want anything networked because I fail to see a single benefit and can flush my toilet manually.

I can see multiple drawbacks from being hacked to having household items rendered inoperable by software glitches.