Ybr 125, out of my depth!

Liveware Problem

Many thanks Gary :)

I will give it a go tomorrow in daylight. I hope the fact that the two adjuster bolts are so different won't be a big problem :?

No unfortunately not rennie! I might have to wheel it down to the bike shop, luckily it's not too far away.

The different bolts don't matter mate, what's important is they're the same setting both sides on the markers, this gives you a pretty good chance of them being aligned. I usually measure from the lip adjuster to the end slot, if it's the same each side then I'm good to go.

Don't worry you're defo not out of your depth, I think you're just getting a bit flustered :) have a go again in the morning with the help these gusy have given you and you'll find it a doddle. If you're really stuck a garage would probably align it pretty cheap for you, then it'll be easy to keep on top of.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

The problem I have now is the bolt and the housing on the exhaust side (the one with the shorter bolt with 2 nuts on) is loose, does that mean I've loosened the axle nut too much?

Judging by the position of the adjuster on this pic,it looks like its getting towards the end of its adjustment,i.e the chain is near the end of its life.

Also don't forget after adjusting the chain you may need to adjust the back brake and maybe rear brake light switch.

The problem I have now is the bolt and the housing on the exhaust side (the one with the shorter bolt with 2 nuts on) is loose, does that mean I've loosened the axle nut too much?

Judging by the position of the adjuster on this pic,it looks like its getting towards the end of its adjustment,i.e the chain is near the end of its life.

Also don't forget after adjusting the chain you may need to adjust the back brake and maybe rear brake light switch.

Arrgh! :lol:

Arrgh! :lol:

Once the axle spindle reaches the end of the slot in the swingarm,its game over for chain and of course the sprockets.

Adjust it all up and see where the adjusters and indent marks are,you may still get some more mileage out of it.

What condition are the sprockets in?

Let's not go into end of chain life yet. Let's just get it setup correctly first.

I think there may be a bit of life left in it yet going by the pics as I think the axle is well and truly off.

That makes it hard to see how much the chain has stretched.

Changing chain and sprockets is an easy job as long as you have the right tools but not something to worry about just now.

The sprockets look OK, to my inexpert eyes anyway!

Let's just sort one thing at a time. Once the axle is straight we can get you photograph the sprockets after that whilst they are still on the bike of course and see if you need to change them.

That's another day thou.

The sprockets look OK, to my inexpert eyes anyway!

Let's just sort one thing at a time. Once the axle is straight we can get you photograph the sprockets after that whilst they are still on the bike of course and see if you need to change them.

That's another day thou.

Ok cheers :thumb:

I slackened off both adjustment bolts and pushed the wheel forwards, this left the exhaust side on 3 notches and the chain side well over 4 (counting from the back of the bike forward)..

I managed to get the wheel in alignment, according to the adjustment marks either side.. However the chain is now too tight. I think the replacement bolt on the exhaust side is a problem, I can't adjust it as it's too short. Or maybe the chain needs replacing?

I can adjust the chain side but then the wheel is back out of alignment.. Bit stumped!

Ah but when I slacken it off the wheel goes out of alignment :( it seems I can only get the alignment right with a a too tight chain!

Thank the lord you don't have a torque wrench, that's all I can say...

Ah but when I slacken it off the wheel goes out of alignment :( it seems I can only get the alignment right with a a too tight chain!

Thank the lord you don't have a torque wrench, that's all I can say...

Yes imagine the carnage..

Think I'll have to take it down to the local bike shop.

No you won't, don't give up!

Slacken off the spindle and slacken off the adjusters and push the wheel as far forward as it can go. The chain will be slack.

Use the adjusters to wind the wheel back. As the wheel moves the chain will get tighter. Once at the required tension, tighten the spindle. Sometimes the chain goes a bit tighter when the spindle gets tightened so if that happens, allow some slack.

Slacken off the spindle and slacken off the adjusters and push the wheel as far forward as it can go. The chain will be slack.

Got this far..

Use the adjusters to wind the wheel back. As the wheel moves the chain will get tighter. Once at the required tension, But at the required tension the alignment marks either side do not match tighten the spindle. Sometimes the chain goes a bit tighter when the spindle gets tightened so if that happens, allow some slack.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I will go out and try again. For some reason I can't seem to get the axle straight..

Got this far..

Use the adjusters to wind the wheel back. As the wheel moves the chain will get tighter. Once at the required tension, But at the required tension the alignment marks either side do not match tighten the spindle. Sometimes the chain goes a bit tighter when the spindle gets tightened so if that happens, allow some slack.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I will go out and try again. For some reason I can't seem to get the axle straight..

Then wind them the match!

Do the chain side first, then wind the other side to match.if that makes the chain too tight, slacken the chain side off a little and push the wheel forwards again.

High did you undo the brake torque rod nut

I don't think any of us mentioned that he would need to undo that one as well.

Oops Sorry.

Its on the exhaust side on the actual drum undo that, it makes getting the axle in the correct alignment easier. Move the torque arm off and out of the way.

Just make sure once you have adjust everything that you reconnect that, if you don't your rear brake will not function. once the torque arm is loose the rear drum will just swivel freely that is perfectly normal.

When you go to reconnect the torque arm just swivel the drum till it lines up with the torque arm and put the nut back on and tighten it back up.

I really wish there was one of us closer to you to show you how to do this.

Its a fairly easy thing to do once you know how.

Looks ok to me. Both adjusters on the same marks on the swing arm?

Yes!

I was being really dense (as people were too polite to suggest), I needed to loosen both sides of the axle nuts to slide the wheel forwards..

Hopefully it's OK now, I don't have a torque wrench so had to make do with two spanners to do up the axle nuts.

Many thanks for all the help :thumb: