Front left indicator wont indicate!

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

So out on a ride yesterday, on way back not far from home and I indicate left and notice the rapid flash on the speedo. Front left indicator is not flashing.

When I got home took bulb out, looked ok but I swapped it with right hand and it worked. problem solved I thought until I rode about 10 meters down the road today and it stopped working at my first left turn.

I have tried a new bulb tonight but with no joy, so sure its not bulb. Anything else I can try before trying to source a replacement indicator?

With the indicator on wiggle the bulb and if it works the problem is in the holder so check where the bulb sits for corrosion.

Loose wire, check the connector where the indicator connects to the bike loom.

With the indicator on wiggle the bulb and if it works the problem is in the holder so check where the bulb sits for corrosion.

Loose wire, check the connector where the indicator connects to the bike loom.

I have tried that and gave it a wiggle. It didn't come on though, also the bulb holder looks free of any corrosion

Probably a dodgy bulb holder or broken wire on that indicator.......check those first before splashing out on a new indicator..... :wink:

First inspection looks ok , apart from knowing it doesn't work of course. Will check the connector and loom when I've traced it on Saturday. Need more time on and daylight helps alot :D

Had a better look tonight before the light went and I found this

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20170222_173736586.jpg

Think this could be the problem? :D Seriously though I can see some snapped wire in the connector, so how do I get that out and how do i get the new wire back in?

Thanks

Usually the wire is put into the connector then that is pushed into the holder. There is then usually a small clip on the connector to keep it in place. If you are lucky with a small screwdriver or pin you can defeat the clip and get the connector out. Then you could open the brass connector get the old wire out and re-make the end. This can be crimped or soldered in place.

I've had a quick look but can't seem to find any replacement units.

However if the above does not work you could try this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-FZ6-600-2004-2006-FRONT-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-/172544550834?fits=UKM_Make%3AYamaha%7CUKM_Model%3AFZ6&hash=item282c74e7b2:g:PFIAAOSwax5YrcOz

I hope I can tease the connector out because I think refitting that whole loom is probably beyond my capabilities. If it came to it Would I be able bypass the holder and connect the two wires using a connecting block?

Wasn't thinking of using the whole loom. Just cut the connector you need off and then replace your old one. Can join the wires any way you like. Terminal block, solder scotchlok, anything.

small thin screwdrivers are your friend with these connectors :wink:

you need to push the screwdriver in to release the clip that is holding the pin and then push the pin out

Will try that and when I lose my temper will just butcher it and use a terminal block and tape :D

I hope I can tease the connector out because I think refitting that whole loom is probably beyond my capabilities. If it came to it Would I be able bypass the holder and connect the two wires using a connecting block?

Wasn't thinking of using the whole loom. Just cut the connector you need off and then replace your old one. Can join the wires any way you like. Terminal block, solder scotchlok, anything.

Ah I see, makes sense now. replacing the whole thing seemed a bit overkill.

Ah I see, makes sense now. replacing the whole thing seemed a bit overkill.

Or just cut both connectors off and join the wires. :wink:

small thin screwdrivers are your friend with these connectors :wink:

you need to push the screwdriver in to release the clip that is holding the pin and then push the pin out

Will try that and when I lose my temper will just butcher it and use a terminal block and tape :D

looking at the pic it looks like you go in from the back to release the clip

look on the spare empty one to give you an idea

don't be too cack handed :lol:

Or just cut both connectors off and join the wires. :wink:

This is the easiest solution though

snip the wires on both sides removing the connector and put bullet connectors on or something :lol:

Used these type connectors.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20170225_120357994.jpg

Not much wire to play with so was a bit fiddly. But....

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20170225_120411992.jpg

It works!!

Thanks for all the help :D