Help to find "the" bike

CTRdemon

The bike is listed as being registered in the Chelmsford/Essex area, it is currently insured but not taxed

It must mean it's in storage just now if it's not taxed. What you going to do CTRdemon? Are you going to put a local ad out on paper or something? Posting in that area in Gumtree might get you a few replies? :)

Thanks all for the replies

I thought i'd found it and someone had resprayed it. Then I realised the reg was wrong...

mon1.jpg

:stupid:

Good luck with the search!

Haha, close but no cigar :lol:

Thanks for looking though!

The bike is listed as being registered in the Chelmsford/Essex area, it is currently insured but not taxed

I wonder if that relates to the first registration (my dad), it was purchased in Essex.

It must mean it's in storage just now if it's not taxed. What you going to do CTRdemon? Are you going to put a local ad out on paper or something? Posting in that area in Gumtree might get you a few replies? :)

Well, I have some news! I was able to post to a facebook Bude group and someone sent a pic of THE bike! They found it and it was posted on 1st April this year on facebook so I've messaged the guy that posted it. He could be the current owner!

Thanks all for the replies

I thought i'd found it and someone had resprayed it. Then I realised the reg was wrong...

mon1.jpg

:stupid:

Good luck with the search!

Haha, close but no cigar :lol:

Thanks for looking though!

I wonder if that relates to the first registration (my dad), it was purchased in Essex.

Well, I have some news! I was able to post to a facebook Bude group and someone sent a pic of THE bike! They found it and it was posted on 1st April this year on facebook so I've messaged the guy that posted it. He could be the current owner!

Exciting stuff!! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for good news! ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Another update... the current owner has contacted me asking if I am still interested in purchasing the bike! I am beyond excited, however I want to check the condition it is in etc to get a good idea of the current price.

Are there any key things to look out for on a 2002 Ducati Monster S4?

Thanks again for any help, almost there.

Well done finding the current owner :thumb:

If it helps having had a few Ducati’s over the years the most common problems have been electrical ones. The S4 is basically the same as all the monsters of that year - just has a 916 sourced engine as opposed to the lower CC air / oil cooled ones. The only real pain / expensive part of ownership is the timing belt changes, if you can not do them yourself.

Regarding value, as you quite rightly say it’s all down to general condition, but you want that bike for personal reasons so I would say it could be priceless to you. Be aware the seller could play on that. That aside common things like flaking engine paint can make a well serviced bike look terrible and knock the value. After market exhaust’s can mean a mot fail with some testers now, and standard cans are not cheep - even on eBay

If the belts have not been done “very” recently it’s potentially £300 - £400 bill depending on who you take it to. Oil service is a cheep DIY task but values can take a real hit without a good dealer or independent service history.

They are definitely an acquired taste and as a guide one of my current bikes, a 2002 monster 620s IE (thought I would keep it cheap & simple), only just last week the starter motor failed whilst on a “break” in Brittany. Tried to get a pattern one €175 but it was down in Toulouse and would take nearly a week to get to me. The nearest Ducati dealership could also order one but it was over €400 !!

That was only the start - you need to remove the whole of the alternator side engine cover to get to, 2 of the bolts holding the starter motor on. All the Ducati’s up to about 2010 use the same starter - located in the same place. So check it doesn’t have a lazy starter - that’s how my problem first appeared about 4,000 miles / 18 months ago.

With that bike only you know how much you are willing to part with, nice bike to own - good luck with the negotiations

Thanks very much for all the advice, it is really good to know.

Oil service is probably about as far as I'd go. How recently would you class as "very" recently?

Wow that sounds like a pain, especially while you were away! I'll check the starter.

Thanks again for the advice :thumb:

• 1 month later...