Africa Twin Adventure Sports.

Gerontious

I had Givi panniers on my VFR750 and I swear they made the bike wider than my car due to being mounted a distance out from the bike. Luckily I never needed to filter with them on. 

The Vario panniers on the GS are a bit wider than the handlebars when expanded -they slim down by about three inches either side when not expanded - but not much of an issue when riding. The right hand pannier, though! How much space is wasted due to the cutout? 

IMG_0254.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M

19 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I had Givi panniers on my VFR750 and I swear they made the bike wider than my car due to being mounted a distance out from the bike. Luckily I never needed to filter with them on. 

The Vario panniers on the GS are a bit wider than the handlebars when expanded -they slim down by about three inches either side when not expanded - but not much of an issue when riding. The right hand pannier, though! How much space is wasted due to the cutout? 

IMG_0254.jpeg

Pair of pants, t-shirt and toothbrush in a bag taped to the tank - job done. Obviously, if you aren’t touring a continent for three mo the you can trim down that comprehensive packing list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The 1100 screen has been plagued with problems, though as with anything - most people have had no problems at all. problems tend to be inflated by the internet. (who knew?)

The 1100 never interested me and for precisely the reasons it excited so many people when announced. right for them. wrong for me.

to be honest I was never going to be very excited by a new model where the CC only increased by 86cc and was lowered in height. with an almost £6000 price hike.

Mine was a very decent upgrade on my previous Boxer 1100 though.  more power and more  torque from a smaller engine and a 300+ mile tank range from the same  24L capacity. up from 240. Plus.. the DCT. (obviously)

so.. back in 2018 reducing engine size resulted in more power. not that I use it, I tend to stick to max torque in the range rather than go balls out for max power.

The BMW was described in its day as a torque monster. progress has lead to a parallel twin thats more powerful from less cc and more torquey than my old Boxer.

And it has that DCT transmission. clickety click. rather than the occasional. crash bang crunch. I definitely do not miss the BMW gear box.

5 hours ago, Gerontious said:

The 1100 screen has been plagued with problems, though as with anything - most people have had no problems at all. problems tend to be inflated by the internet. (who knew?)

The 1100 never interested me and for precisely the reasons it excited so many people when announced. right for them. wrong for me.

to be honest I was never going to be very excited by a new model where the CC only increased by 86cc and was lowered in height. with an almost £6000 price hike.

Mine was a very decent upgrade on my previous Boxer 1100 though.  more power and more  torque from a smaller engine and a 300+ mile tank range from the same  24L capacity. up from 240. Plus.. the DCT. (obviously)

so.. back in 2018 reducing engine size resulted in more power. not that I use it, I tend to stick to max torque in the range rather than go balls out for max power.

The BMW was described in its day as a torque monster. progress has lead to a parallel twin thats more powerful from less cc and more torquey than my old Boxer.

And it has that DCT transmission. clickety click. rather than the occasional. crash bang crunch. I definitely do not miss the BMW gear box.

In which case you’re going to love my bike review in six months where I prove your bike is inferior in every way 😁

Edited by Mawsley

36 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

In which case you’re going to love my bike review in six months where I prove your bike is inferior in every way 😁

im sure you’re right. It’s always easy to justify what has cost you the best part of £20,000. Rare to see this viewed as a big mistake. Though I do admire people who are brave enough to admit such a thing.

I knew the limitations before buying - mostly the wheels had to go. For me the overriding limitation of the newer bike is its low seat height. It could be the best thing since sliced bread - but if it’s too low and uncomfortable to ride - by design, then nothing you or anyone might say will make it an appropriate choice for me. I wanted to like it. But that single factor removed it from my wish list at a stroke. Just by sitting on it.

But of course Honda had to do it. They were very soon made aware that the 1000 Adventure Sports was too tall and inappropriate for a sizeable number of potential buyers and so it only lasted 2 years before the redesign.

I’ll stick with what I have. It’s unlikely I’ll be buying another bike, another petrol bike.