Yamaha Fazer FZ6S 2004 - Replacing Immobilizer Unit Comp and Ignition Switch

Monkey Betty

Some oiks tried to steal my bike by smashing the ignition switch and the immobilizer unit comp (the thing that sits around the ignition switch and detects the coded key). They didn't actually take it though - presumably because they couldn't start it.

Apart from this damage everything else seems OK (apart from some damage to a panel). I can use a screwdriver to turn what's left of the ignition switch on, and it turns on. The key light on the console flashes constantly, and it will turn over, but wont start.

What I am trying to determine is if can I just replace the ignition switch and IUC only, without having to replace the ECU?

The ignition switch I am assuming is just a standard part and can be easily purchased and replaced.

If I replace the IUC would it need to be reprogrammed with my existing red key. The IUC is available for about £312.

If I have to replace the IUC and ECM, then I am looking at around the £1000 mark. Not sure this is worth it for a 15 year old bike.

Any thoughts or views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Your profile does not give location but if you go to local yamaha dealer with intention of "pricing" the parts you will need and the costs for them to replace they will probably tell you.

Round here I would recommend Dearens in Hythe although no longer Yamaha dealers they still have knowledge.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just for information, I am on the Isle of Sheppy in Kent.

The bike is currently in a local repair shop, but they are finding it difficult to find any information regarding what needs to be done. They don't want to replace some parts only to find that it doesn't work and then have to replace something else.

It is starting to look like this is going to be an insurance write-off.