I got hit on my bike this morning. I'm okay

James in Brum

Here is the latest. I have just spoken to my claims handler.

I have to accept the valuation as is for now and that does end the replacement bike whether I like it or not. They are referring up the chain to ask about having the hire bike longer without cost to me. We are disputing the valuation given by the other insurance company.

Because I am third party insurance we are stuck with the claims handling company talking to the third party and there is little I can do. If I was fully comp I am told that my insurance company would be involved and would have paid me or something like that.

The third party have issued a payment which I find insulting on a not prejudiced basis or something that means they have not acknowledged fault yet either.

It seems that even though I do not have enough money to replace my bike it's tough, I can raise it myself with the third party insurance company and I can complain and then take it to the ombudsmen which I will once we have finished through the claim handlers. IS this everyone else's experience?

Any advice?

Insurers tend to try and settle Total Loss claims within 14-21 days of the accident date but many do struggle to fulfill that target. How long have you been on hire? I guess the third party insurer is trying to push out the settlement cheque as quickly as possible so that they can then stop paying for incurring hire charges. No doubt they would have tried contacting you to offer their services when the claim was logged on their system to mitigate their losses. I think the best form of action would be to not cash the cheque in as they would consider that a form of acceptance, I'm a bit confused from the above if you are dealing specifically with the third party insurer or your own insurer. :?