Speedodrive

Dazzo92

Hey all hope everyone's riding safe with weather getting bad...... But yeah to my question what could cause the plastics inside a speedo drive to melt? Yes I know its friction blah blah blah but for it to proper melt like butter to the point my wire has a new casing now is that just poor quality drive? :stupid:

Yes your right about the friction. The question iis what caused the friction.

All moving parts have some friction. When they are working correctly the friction is minimal, hence the heat generated from the friction is also small, so they may get warm but not hot.

Something will have gone wrong with the speedo drive to increase the friction.

Possible causes are lubrication - no grease or water got in.

Corrosion, causing the moving parts to get tight, hence more force needed to move them, so more heat -

Broken part - won't rotate freely, again more force, more heat.

Plastics don't like heat, some can't even cope with boiling water (100degC), heat resistant plastics can deal with 200degC plus.

Go past thier temperature limit and the effects are very noticable - as you have seen.

Yeah I get you.... I just got it motd also while that was done they replaced front tyre bairings I dunno what they done (this broke while on way home from mot) my first thought after inspecting the bike was it was put on too tight then over greased as it was oozing but they heat also could of thinned the lubricant they used?

It's a zontes panther 125 2016 model..... Heads banging off everything as I fix one thing then another thing goes the joys of projects, now the brake light wont turn off everything seems to be in order no jams broken wires just abit annoying haha