Going from A2 to A

9 hours ago, Fish said:

I like this part.... "You are covered during your test and afterwards if you pass. You are not covered to ride home if you have failed your test."

So you HAVE to pass to be insured! Another reason to find a school.

Fish

8 hours ago, bonio said:

@Fish My guess is it means this: You're insured during your test. You're also insured afterwards if you pass.

Problem is that people can't write clearly. But they realised they'd made a mess of the sentence, and so they had another go, adding "You are not covered to ride home if you have failed your test." in the hope that this would clear up the confusion they'd created :classic_rolleyes:

It says you also have to be under professional tuition aswell. So you can't ride your bike TO the test without an instructor anyway.

But not being insured to ride home if you don't pass I wouldn't have thought would be a problem? As if you don't pass you don't
ride home anyway... I always thought if you fail a test you shouldn't drive/ride yourself home (I never did when I failed driving test).
Safety thing due to not passing... ?

Going with a school really is the simplest fastest way to do all of this.

Guest Swagman
9 hours ago, JackieOWheels said:

Your daughter must have passed her test before April 2009 then as that was the old system, I'm sure a lot of the folk here who are learning just now would love it if it was still that system as they just need to wait 2 years before going to anything they want.

Yes I thought that was a fair system pass the CBT then the test and get 2 years experience before riding a big bike, don’t see why they altered that.🥲🥲

On 16/12/2020 at 12:57, TimR said:

But what are they trying to do ...

What are they transitioning from ?

A1 ,A2 ?

How old are they ....?

Just to clear this up:- From A2 to A and old enough to do it. either over 24, or 22 with 2 years experience. 

My wife currently has a CBT and pretty much the only bike she can get on is the Honda Rebel 500.  Other bobbers and cruisers exist but they have forward pegs which are not optimal for putting your feet down (lets not debate forward pegs).  So RIGHT NOW she has the option of A2 or nothing.  Other low seat "A" bikes may come along one day.

However the main reason for up grading might be that someone has had an A2 licence for 2 years an wants to transition ...... without having to take a full course ......again.

54 minutes ago, Pbassred said:

Just to clear this up:- From A2 to A and old enough to do it. either over 24, or 22 with 2 years experience. 

My wife currently has a CBT and pretty much the only bike she can get on is the Honda Rebel 500.  Other bobbers and cruisers exist but they have forward pegs which are not optimal for putting your feet down (lets not debate forward pegs).  So RIGHT NOW she has the option of A2 or nothing.  Other low seat "A" bikes may come along one day.

However the main reason for up grading might be that someone has had an A2 licence for 2 years an wants to transition ...... without having to take a full course ......again.

Rebel 1100 out soon? That would be A. But obviously isn't RIGHT NOW.

On 22/12/2020 at 09:51, peatear said:

Rebel 1100 out soon? That would be A. But obviously isn't RIGHT NOW.

Brand new heavy 1100cc bike for learning?  Certainly not DAS.  Maybe for transitioning but no school is going to buy one.  I think Honda missed a trick by not squeezing a 600 into that frame, but that's a different question ..... so its back to the initial question.

On 19/12/2020 at 10:48, Swagman said:

Yes I thought that was a fair system pass the CBT then the test and get 2 years experience before riding a big bike, don’t see why they altered that.🥲🥲

to slow down the number gainin a full licence .. because it is more expensive and time consuming to do it the way we have now.. the fact that the learning schools make more money is an agreeable by-product since anyone in the know .. knows that they are nepotistically-privileged by DVLA.