Going from A2 to A

Literally asking for a friend since I passed my DAS 2 years ago (my old posts are still here and I'm 28,000 miles in btw )!  What is the best way to transition to full A licence?  Take lessons again? Buy a 600cc bike and just do the test?  Can you even get that insured?

15 minutes ago, TimR said:

It really needs a good sort out, and simplifying, and ideal soultion would be once you have gained a particular licence eg A1, after 2 years you would be given provisional entitlement for the next, and allow someone to ride the next category with L's , and allow them to use their own bike to take the test on, and so on if someone has an A2 after 2 years they can ride an A bike on L's with a view to passing their full A test.

There is no need for the ballache of a system we have in place now, just so utterly stupid and outdated.

Guest Swagman
6 minutes ago, dynax said:

It really needs a good sort out, and simplifying, and ideal soultion would be once you have gained a particular licence eg A1, after 2 years you would be given provisional entitlement for the next, and allow someone to ride the next category with L's , and allow them to use their own bike to take the test on, and so on if someone has an A2 after 2 years they can ride an A bike on L's with a view to passing their full A test.

There is no need for the ballache of a system we have in place now, just so utterly stupid and outdated.

They don’t want to make it easy or organised, they don’t really want us on the roads, why are there not 3 tests to get a car license.

2 hours ago, dynax said:

Nothing stops you using your own bike , you just cannot ride it there .

And you can insure a vehicle even without a licence 

And applying sub provisional categories is that just adding further complications ?

if someone has an A2 after 2 years they can ride an A bike on L's with a view to passing their full A test.

That is what it is now is it not ? 

You just need an instructor to be present.

And you can just book a test on your own bike etc transport it to test centre ...

Edited by TimR

10 minutes ago, Swagman said:

They don’t want to make it easy or organised, they don’t really want us on the roads, why are there not 3 tests to get a car license.

Exactly! In this respect though, aren't the goverment verging on discrimination, cars drivers don't have these excessive stipulations to gain a licence.

1 minute ago, TimR said:

Nothing stops you using your own bike , you just cannot ride it there .

And you can insure a vehicle even without a licence 

And applying sub provisional categories is that just adding further complications ?

if someone has an A2 after 2 years they can ride an A bike on L's with a view to passing their full A test.

You just need an instructor to be present ?

Or you can just book a test on your own bike etc transport it to test centre ...

"You need the instructor to be present", if you already passed a test, you can ride to the minimum standard of the test, why should you need an instructor to be present to ride a bigger bike on L's.

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Really?  is this true?  I have never heard of it.  Definitely never seen an unaccompanied MT07 with L plates.

1 minute ago, Pbassred said:

Really?  is this true?  I have never heard of it.  Definitely never seen an unaccompanied MT07 with L plates.

No i was attempting to quote but couldn't find the quote ..

You need to be accompanied by an instructor to ride above licence category on L plates .

Guest Swagman
18 minutes ago, TimR said:

No i was attempting to quote but couldn't find the quote ..

You need to be accompanied by an instructor to ride above licence category on L plates .

All I know is when the daughter took her DAS she did it on a 125 and then after 2 years the license went to full category, but that was a few years ago.

What @TimR is saying is right.... in theory. I've heard of people trying to do, but no-one who has succeeded, because it's so difficult to set up the insurance, the transport, and to find a way to practice on the bigger bike without using the public roads (cos you're only allowed to ride on the road with an instructor).

So what @dynax is saying is the real right answer. You go to a school, get a couple of lessons if you want, and get them to book you in to do the tests. All on their bike.

Edited by bonio

A friend has short legs and no local school could get a bike low enough for her.   She bought a bike, insured it for her and her friend.

He rode it to the test centre she drove her car...  She sat her test passed and rode the bike home.

The next day they climbed on their bikes and rode to Scotland.

It is possible but not without some challenges and additional cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

2 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

name the insurance company .. 

It was a few years ago but now you mention it i think it was put on a bike schools insurance for the test...

They might of even got feed up with her dropping there bike because her legs where to short...

2 hours ago, onesea said:

i think it was put on a bike schools insurance for the test...

and therein lies the rub of it .. insurance underwriters will not extend cover to plebs without a full licence for a bike over 125cc... unless anyone knows different ?

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

and therein lies the rub of it .. insurance underwriters will not extend cover to plebs without a full licence for a bike over 125cc... unless anyone knows different ?

Unless you have the Short leg issue, I would say the most effective way to go up a licence would be find a school prepared to give you an hours familiarisation and then the test.  Someone should surly be prepared to take the money...

When I did my licence I did an hours lesson I phoned round and found an instructor who was prepared to give me an hours assessment lesson, he said 3 lessons and he would put me in for my Mod 1. 
I passed first time then he said another hour and he would book me on MOD 2.

Other schools said full course or nothing....

I like this part.... "You are covered during your test and afterwards if you pass. You are not covered to ride home if you have failed your test."

So you HAVE to pass to be insured! Another reason to find a school.

Fish

@Fish My guess is it means this: You're insured during your test. You're also insured afterwards if you pass.

Problem is that people can't write clearly. But they realised they'd made a mess of the sentence, and so they had another go, adding "You are not covered to ride home if you have failed your test." in the hope that this would clear up the confusion they'd created :classic_rolleyes:

On 16/12/2020 at 12:38, Swagman said:

All I know is when the daughter took her DAS she did it on a 125 and then after 2 years the license went to full category, but that was a few years ago.

Your daughter must have passed her test before April 2009 then as that was the old system, I'm sure a lot of the folk here who are learning just now would love it if it was still that system as they just need to wait 2 years before going to anything they want.