Bandit 1250 Starting Issue

DJP

Over the last week or so my Bandit 1250 has become reluctant to start from cold. The symptoms are:

1. The starter spins for longer than usual.

2. When it does start it makes a “Chugging” sound, as if it's running on three cylinders, which goes away after a few seconds and then it runs normally.

3. During start up the clocks reset to kph.

The 1250 is notorious for starter motor problems, and these symptoms are otherwise identical to a dead starter. However, I've fitted a brand new starter and it's still doing it (and I've stripped the old starter and can't find anything wrong with it). The spark plugs and air filter were changed 1,000 miles ago.

That leaves me thinking it's the battery. However, my smart charger shows the battery having a full charge. I'm also reluctant to blame the battery as it's only 4 years old and the bike gets used every day and I've never had an OE battery go bad this early. (I'm not saying that it isn't the battery, but...)

The bike starts fine when it's hot and otherwise runs normally.

Any ideas please?

Try Jump starting it, if turns over as it should chances are the battery is fooked, if it still struggles there is a problem elsewhere in the electrical system, could be a loose connection, bad earth or damaged wiring :thumb:

• Like 1

Cold weather will reduce battery charge even with a healthy battery. The chugging that clears quickly once it's running sounds like damp in the ignition. Which would also lead to poor starting. 

Salt getting into ignition parts will hold moisture. It's worth giving the ignition leads and plugs a dose of WD40.

Is the extended cranking lowering the battery voltage which would cause the clock to reset?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

...Is the extended cranking lowering the battery voltage which would cause the clock to reset?

I'm pretty sure that it is.

• Like 1