Should have left well alone - BRAKES

Guest 600Hornet

Hi, hope someone can help with a problem I've been having with my brakes.

I decided the brakes on my 99' Hornet 600 needed beefing up so bought some goodridge brake lines.

After fitting them nearly a month ago, I still can't get the air out of my brakes, I mean the lever is not just spoungey, I does absolutely nothing at all.

Tried all the usual tricks, but still nothing on the lever. I have put in a new master cyclinder piston kit, new bleed nipples, but still no joy. I finally bought a vacuum hand pump, which sucks out fluid and air bubbles, the problem being, when I tighten the bleed nipples, if I pump the pump, then air bubbles still come out of the nipple.

This is obviously not good, but not sure how to rectify it. I can only assume now that the thread in the calipers is nackered. But don't want to fork out the money for a new set of calipers if there is some other reason.

Have also thought about using ptf tape on the bleed nipple threads, but not sure, what effect brake fluid will have on it and whether it will be safe in the long term.

If anyone has has similar problems or can help please let me know.

Cheers

EM

:cry:

Sorry cant help you as any problems i have I take mine straight to a garage!

But I thin this requires a *snigger* sorry in advance.

Tried all the usual tricks, but still nothing I finally bought a vacuum hand pump, which sucks out fluid and air bubbles, the problem being, when I tighten the bleed nipples, if I pump the pump, then air bubbles still come out of the nipple.

is it wrong all i read was nipples lol, sorry i cant help you but welcome to the forum :) id take mine to a garage if it were mine :)

Matt

if the thread in the calipers is nackered you can get it retap but it would mean stripping the caliper cleaning all the crap out then trying to find a new nipple to fit it but the first thing i would do is what the others said take it to a bike shop see what they say

moved to pitstop :)

give the calipers, lines and master cylinder a really good clean

use washing up liquid and boiling water as a last resort if you cant get anything else

then check for leaks pump the brakes up and keep pressure on them by using a tie wrap on the lever and look for fluid leaking

if fluid is comming out you also have air going in

Guest akey

OK looking at this I would say that either the nipple or the thread in the caliper is shot mate.

First off try a new nipple should only cost a couple of quid, if that fails then its either off with the caliper to get it retapped or a new caliper I'm afraid mate.

I am assuming everything has been done up correctly around the rest of the system?

almost certain air is getting in somewhere--check its all done up. Not a big cost to rethread properly---if you want calipers try breakers

First thing is how new is the hornet, cause if its only a few years old I can't really see it being damaged, unless you brutally pulled out the pistons.

Secondly they could be letting in air even though no fluid is escaping!

Thirdly do not use ptf tape, the fluid would destroy it.

Tips,

Lock one of the calipers up so the pistons can not move (take the caliper off and just jam the space up so the pistons can not move). This way when you pull the lever twice as much fluid is passing to the remaining caliper.

Obviously do one caliper at a time.

Once you've managed to remove the majority of air and you can feel the brake working a little when you pull the lever, pull the lever toward the handlebar and secure it and leave it over night.