[Newbie] Used 125cc utility bike

Rude

Hello all,

Brand new entry-level newbie commuter/utility motorbiker here. Taking my CBT in a couple of weeks and I am currently living in rural N. Yorkshire. I'm quite a big guy - 185cm, 110kg.

Have done a bit of research into the UK 125cc market and settled on a Honda SH125i (mainly for the extensive storage options). However after a day of calling dealerships it seems the port congestion and supply chain issues are heavily affecting Honda and they said if I pre-order now, they expect mine to arrive in Feb 2022.

So now I'm faced with getting an older used model. Wanted to ask the community for any advice or tips regarding buying used 125cc scooters. 

1. What's a good mileage to look out for? I have heard that 3000 miles is a good cutoff.
  2. Which model and what year bikes would you recommend to look for? Like I mentioned previously, the Honda SH125i looks good to me but I am open to other suggestions for my use-case. Have heard that the Honda PCX125 is great (storage not as good as the SH125i is what I've read) and the Yamaha NMAX125 is another solid option.
  3. What other factors should a newbie like me be looking out for when buying a 2nd hand bike?
  4. How about proper gear for the English rain/snow, especially in winter?
  5. Any general riding/safety tips for a newbie?

Thanks in advance, appreciate any advice.

Best regards.

Edited by Rude

1. Go on condition and servicing not mileage.

2. No idea about scooters how about  a geared motorcycle?

3.if you can take someone with you who knows, or look up a buying guide for the specific model. 

4. Goretex is good but expensive. Layers to keep warm. Some people like heated gear. 

5. Ride defensively, expect everyone to do something stupid. Anticipate, better to avoid an issue rather than having to react to it. Cbt is basic training, lots of other training once you get started to Improve skills.

And enjoy! 

Hi there,

1. Don't worry too much about mileage. The thing you want is a bike that's been looked after and serviced regularly; then you can be confident even if it's got 30k miles on it.

2. The ones you've picked out look like great choices. Honda and Yamaha make probably the most reliable machines on the road, and they handle the salt in winter better than others do too. Being scoots, you get a load of protection from the weather, which is nice in winter. 

3. A topbox is a great accessory, if you're commuting (which I guess is what you're going to be doing)

4. Textile jacket and trousers. Goretex is best, but very expensive. If you want to save a bit, there are often good secondhand buys on ebay. 

Go to a shop to get a helmet. Must be new. Anything that you can buy from a reputable shop will have good protection, so the important things are: is it comfortable? does it fit well? and how much does it cost? Get the folk in the shop to advise you about fit, because it needs to be tighter than you'd think. Personally, I'd get a full face (or a flip up) if you want to ride in winter. Then boots and gloves.

5. Ride smoothly in the wet, especially around roundabouts (where diesel spills are more likely). 

• Like 2

If you were thinking of new from a dealership, then stick with that plan and buy a nearly new from a dealership. they usually only accept the best as trade ins and you will get a warranty. plus all the bits and pieces you should expect like all the paperwork. keys. and so on. 

• Like 2

If you will be commuting in the winter then invest in decent kit. It doesn't need to be the most expensive. I have a set of RST textiles which are warm, and I put waterproofs over them when it's wet.

Hi viz gear can help. It's not just about motorists seeing you, it's also about taking away the excuse they didn't see you. In city traffic I find people are less aggressive when I'm in hi viz gear.

Heated gloves are helpful if you're doing more than a few miles. I prefer them to heated grips as they keep the back of your fingers warmer.

• Like 1

I rode scooters for ages on a provisional license.  But, when it came to doing my test, I learnt on a manual loaned by the bike school.  Then I bought a CG125, practiced a lot, like commuting every day, did another few lessons and did my 2 tests.  I got a 500cc which was pretty much on the hp limit and just rode out the A2 restriction period and now I'm full A1 and can ride any bike I want.

I mention this as the motorcycle license will be tagged "Automatic only" is you do the test on a auto.

• Like 1