Suddenly lower idle speed

potatobroxd

Rode on my bike today and stalled 2-3 times which hurt my ego severely. A closer look at the dash made me realise the lower idle (around 850 rpm) and it usually idles around 1000-1100. The lower idle is also pretty unstable

Other than turning the idle screw, could there be an underlying issue? Bike is a 2017 Z900 with around 6000 miles. Next valve clearence check is miles away, but should it be checked once every few years or only after a certain mileage is passed?

Thanks for any insight into this

Edited by potatobroxd

4 hours ago, Old-codger said:

I very much doubt its the valves at that mileage, Have a look to see if the air box is restricted by anything or something has made a home in there.

Thanks, Ill have a look at it. Not looking forward to it considering I have to lift the gas tank off the bike thanks to kawasaki engineering 🥲

3 hours ago, exportmanuk said:

Agree with Old Codger.  Unlikely to be valves more probable an obstruction or air leak  would expect  your 2017 bike to be fuel injected and the throttle opening at idle to be controlled by the ECU not an idle screw.

Surprisingly both my fuel injected kawis have an idle screw.. its almost like they knew the idle speed was gonna be a problem

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

Do a spit check from cold  on the down pipes to see if it's running on all four cylinders first . 

It sounds like a four cylinder bike on startup but ill give it a shot

• Like 1