When I sold my bike

Davidtav

So I was thinking about when I used to commute into London from Essex on my 125 back in the early 90s (posted in the PPE thread) and I remembered about when I sold it. Thought I would share this with you. 

Living in Brentwood, I put an advert in The Loot (does that even exist these days?) for my Yamaha SR125 … first person to call was a lady new to biking. Arranged for her to visit on Saturday morning. 

Saturday morning and she arrived in a car. With a male companion who was apparently knowledgeable about bikes. Said they can’t stay long because he was actually a doctor at Guys in London. And on call. They had hardly started to look at the bike (which was in lovely condition) and his beeper went. He said “I’ve got to go. I’m taking the bike. Quickest way to get to Guys”. I thrust jacket and gloves and helmet to him and said “ that’s fine”

He disappeared very quickly. The woman looked at me and said “well looks like I’ve bought you’re bike then” and gave me the full money. Never heard from them again. 

It strikes me that these days I would probably consider this a scam. Never occurred to me back in the day. And it wasn’t. 

Will hardly be considered a scam if you got paid for the bike. 

my story on selling bikes are 2 completely different ones.

First bike I had, a Africa Twin 700 then sold her as part exchange of the VFR800. Was riding passing the dealer and decided to stop by and play them a visit. As result the deal was closed in 10 min and I went to get the bike the following week.

then I sold the VFR after the divorce, the only thing of value I managed to salvage in exchange of a small fiesta.

The fiesta was of soo little value in 2003 that I just gave it to a friend when I decided to come to the UK.

After a few years bikeless I got another VFR. my ex saw it on gumtree we went to see it during the weekend, the next week I got the dosh and got the bike.

several years later, and passing the speedy age, I decided to change it for a "grown up" ST1300.

The Shadow become the "short trip" bike so I don't have to handle a +300kg bike for short trips. :thumb:

One day I'll be selling the ST1300 possibly together with the trailer and will keep the shadow until the day I decide to stop. Likely on my 90's 😎

• 2 weeks later...

I remember  back in 1989 I was 19 I was selling  a old off road  xl125 the paper work for it was long gone before I even got it. A couple of kids about 13 bought it off me thet turned  up about 10pm to pick it up. About 11:30 there was a knock at the door it was the police they had seen to dodgy looking kids with a bike and wanted to know if I had sold it to them,  I said yes and without any further checks or asking  fir proof of ownership they said okay and let them go on thier way 😅

• Haha 1