Hints and Tips about commuting in Winter!

Guest SV650s

Hi

I have just returned to biking after a 1 year break. I am planning on getting back into the swing of things this summer and hopefully commuting too and from work on my SV650s.

I want to commute on my bike this winter but i have very little experience riding in poor weather conditions. I can brave the wet but only if i have to.

I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips on riding in winter conditions so that i can mental prepare and brush up on my skills while the weather is good.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Craig

Hi

I have just returned to biking after a 1 year break. I am planning on getting back into the swing of things this summer and hopefully commuting too and from work on my SV650s.

I want to commute on my bike this winter but i have very little experience riding in poor weather conditions. I can brave the wet but only if i have to.

I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips on riding in winter conditions so that i can mental prepare and brush up on my skills while the weather is good.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Craig

Phone in sick and watch re runs of GPs/WSBs :lol: :lol: :lol:

ey up craig

commuted all thro last winter..............main things to watch for i found are manhole covers........they're flamin lethal in wet weather......stay off the white lines.......again they become extremely slippery.........standing water...it's like runnin into a brick wall.........get a GOOD set of waterproofs and add some protective coatin to ur boots.......there's nowt worse than wet feet...........get an anti-mist for your visor.........you'll find when it rains or is cold your visor mists up really quickly...........remember that your stoppin distances are a hell of a lot further in wet or icy conditions........just ride carefully an you'll be ok

steve

Ok. First get some heated grips, you will need some :lol: And some good warm water proofs.

* Everytime you get home wash your bike down with cold water... Hose it down to get rid of the grit and crap off the roads.

* Obverse don't let your tyres get low on tred as low as you would let it in the summer.

* Use proper good oil for your bike.

Ive ride through all sorts of weather. Thunderstorms, high winds, floods, freezing temperatures and even snow on a 2 stroke LOL. Mad I know but mehhh. People doubt the winter riding but it can actually be fun.

Tbh if i was you do what i would do. Have a summer bike then get yourself a winter bike.

Matty

You dont have to go too mad actually just ride regularly!

A good product apparantly is fs365 i believe to help keep out the poo!

Oh and there is some seriously glorious riding days through winter but get a dark visor!

be prepared to cry in the spring when you see what a winter of salty grit has done to the bike :(

Dont worry about the above, either get some ACF50 or scotoiler FS365 both of which do an outstanding job, just ask anyone who saw my old GSX-R which I ran all through winter for commuting and has a polished frame and swingarm. If these products can stop an old suzuki from turning into a pile of furr then they will protect anything.

ey up craig

commuted all thro last winter..............main things to watch for i found are manhole covers........they're flamin lethal in wet weather......stay off the white lines.......again they become extremely slippery.........standing water...it's like runnin into a brick wall.........get a GOOD set of waterproofs and add some protective coatin to ur boots.......there's nowt worse than wet feet...........get an anti-mist for your visor.........you'll find when it rains or is cold your visor mists up really quickly...........remember that your stoppin distances are a hell of a lot further in wet or icy conditions........just ride carefully an you'll be ok

steve

Cheers for the advice. Whats best for the anti mist? Ive heard shaving foam can be a good one. Or are there special sprays?

be prepared to cry in the spring when you see what a winter of salty grit has done to the bike :(

Yeah good point. Im tempted to have a winter commute bike and then a summer bike!

cheers for the reply

* Obverse don't let your tyres get low on tred as low as you would let it in the summer.

* Use proper good oil for your bike.

Matty

Cheers mate. Do you need to change the tyres for winter? if so what are the best ones to get?

Whats the best oil grade etc for winter?

Thanks for the reply. Craig

Dont worry about the above, either get some ACF50 or scotoiler FS365 both of which do an outstanding job

A good product apparantly is fs365 i believe to help keep out the poo!

Cheers guys. look great products at a good price too. Hows best to apply this? just to the fram or fairing etc too? I take it that you must avoid contact with brakes.

Cheers for the replies.

Craig

is the sv pre 03? They dont like the winter

Hi mate. Its the post 03, K3 series, chisseled look not he rounded jelly mould look. Are there better then?

Cheers for the reply. Craig

Been commuting from S. Wales to Bristol (40 mile round trip) for the last 10 years working nights, using a CBR600, Dragstar 650 and a Dragstar 1100 (not all at once) :lol:

Good two piece waterproofs or textile suit (eg FT Aqua)

Heated grips (Oxford hot hands)

Handlebar muffs

good boots

2 off thin neck warmers

screen.

Hot hands because they can be taken off easily, & when used with handlebar muffs you will only need summer gloves. Yes they look ugly as sin, but it aint a fashion parade.

keep boots and suit waterproofed.

Barn door of a screen keeps wind off and the crap that gets thrown up off the road.

Service the bike before winter and after.

Wash off with cold water (not warm as it will just activate the salt and cause more problems later) at least once a week, I can't be a r s e d to do it daily at 0700, as I want my bed.

ACF50 I believe is good but not cheap. Mr Sheen is cheaper but you use it more often.

Keep tyres at the right pressure.

Ride smoothly no hard acceleration or braking, gentle on down shifts.

Take care if riding in areas of shadow on the road as there may still be ice there, in autumn watch out for leaves (as slippy as ice if not more so).

May not be the prettiest bike around after a few winters but it's better than being a fair weather rider anyday.

I used to ride through the winter, then I grew up :wink:

Lol. it catches up with us all at some point! im 25 and not as mad as i used to be ! lol ;)