Fear of riding

LXRSTARUK

Hi guys I am new to this site and new to riding in general, I wanted to ask about an experience I am currently going through that I'm having difficulties with, I recently did my CBT with a group of others and completed the course, now I have my own ride and gear and I'm raring to go, but tonight when I got on my bike I suddenly ended up panicking, almost a fight or flight response and so I ended up not going anywhere. It doesn't help that I keep being told to be careful before every attempt to ride as I'm finding that puts my mind in a state of awareness of everything around me all of a sudden. 

I've had my bike now for nearly a month and unfortunately due to the weather haven't been able to ride. 

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I'm trying to fight through the fear and tell myself to just ride the bike but I don't know if this is a normal experience to have or not. 

Welcome to the forum.

I think you did the right thing. If your head is not in the game then I guarantee you’ll have a bad ride. 
Don’t be too hard in yourself. 

The weather will start to get better soon which means the conditions will improve too. 

Just take it a step at a time. Maybe start small. Set yourself a task of going round the block at first. Then see how you feel. 
Do you drive? Have you any road experience other than the CBT? 

It can take years to build the skills, so take your time. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

Lack of confidence is normal in the beginning even more so if you have never ridden before. A good habit to get into is doing your pre ride checks, so check things like oil and water, lights, tyre pressures and condition etc. Doing this will calm your nerves as you are not rushing to get out on the bike just take your time, it is not a race. Secondly it will help build trust in the bike as you know it is safe to ride.

Like most things it will take a good few miles under your belt, just take it slow and steady find some quiet roads, go to some retail or industrial parks when they are closed and practice the slow maneuvers you did on the CBT, all this will help build up muscle memory for your clutch and brake control.

Good luck and keep at it :thumb:

Yeah start slow, small trips, familiar route to the shops, get a pint of milk etc. You need to build familiarity with the situation so it doesn't feel new and unusual. If it persists you could consider cognitive behaviour therapy.

You could maybe find a riding buddy on here or have a look on FB for great fun on small bikes, they have loads of members around the country, I am sure you could find a buddy local to you who would be willing to ride with you :thumb:

Fear is the instinct that will keep you alive.

As said above, start slow and build your confidence and more importantly build your skills.

The most dangerous thing you can have (and you will) is to be overconfident and start taking pointless risks just because you think you're the new Rossi.

The best feeling you will always have will be thinking "I could have done that bend faster..." But you will be glad you didn't. :thumb: