Ageing a Honda

Guest ellis

Good evening all.

I recently bought myself a Honda XR600, the previous owner told me it was a 1990 model, but i was wondering if theres anyway of telling for certain, by say using the Frame number or engine number.

Any help on this matter would be great!

If you have one, have a look in the Haynes manual, they usually tell you which frame no's come from which year (did for my NC24 anyway).

Local dealer will be able to tell you as well.

Dont forget the year made and year registered can sometimes be different anyway.

erm dont you have the documents surely the v5 will tell you!!

:stupid:

V5 will tell you year of registration not year of build, they are not always the same.

erm dont you have the documents surely the v5 will tell you!!

:stupid:

V5 will tell you year of registration not year of build, they are not always the same.

errrr did say that much earlier ;)

Cheers for all the help guys, nice to see what seems to be a friendly and informative forum for a change! (i've had issues with other car sites in the past)

I don't have the V5 at the moment, as its been sent away to DVLA for change of ownership, but it was first registerd in 2001, which definatly isn't the year of build, unless honda got some bits mixed up!

Voodoo, thats exactly what i was after thanks alot

Upon checking on the link that Voodoo, my frame number is nothing like that described, so i'm still in the dark. This either means, that that website is incpomplete, my bike was built 1981, or that frame/vin numbers destined for america are diffrant to those destined for europe, unlikely in my opinion, but possable.

might be popping into the honda delarship tomorrow to pick up some bits, so will ask and let you know the answers

Well popped into the local honda dealership yesterday, the good news was that my bits had turned up! YAY!

The bad news is that they couldn't or wouldn't give me the method for ageing my bike using the Frame number.

They just kinda said that its probably somewhere around 1985 to 1991. not really what i was looking for, but hay what can you do.

Cheers for all the help guys, nice to see what seems to be a friendly and informative forum for a change! (i've had issues with other car sites in the past)

I don't have the V5 at the moment, as its been sent away to DVLA for change of ownership, but it was first registerd in 2001, which definatly isn't the year of build, unless honda got some bits mixed up!

Voodoo, thats exactly what i was after thanks alot

I hope you meant bike? Because it really isn't a car site.[/b]