SV650s Chain tensioners - bust!

Guest SV650s

Hi there.

Just been riding back from work and got home and began to inspect my bike, as you do ! I have noticed recently that the chain tension seems a little slack. When i purchased the bike a few weeks ago i noticed this and pointed it out to the salesman and he said he would have it checked before i purchased it. He apparently did but this still is is not set to my liking ( it actually rubs on the rubber protecting pads ontop of the swing arm).

Any how, I set about adjusting as i have done with other bikes in the same manner. Placed it securely on the side stand and loosend off the rear wheel. I then adjusted the right side and then moved to the left. It was a little tight so i sprayed some WD40 on it and left to soak for a while. On my return I went to adjust in a clockwise motion and the flaiming thing snapped off! I managed to get it far enough to keep the rear wheel in line before it sheered off! I tightened the rear wheel and took for a short spin. It seemed all safe enough.

My question is, am i ok to ride it with the chain tensioner snapped until I get the parts to replace it?

Also, is it straight forward to replace them as I am not sure if it is covered under warranty, you know the mechanics old get out speach "its down to wear and tear and we dont cover that!"

Any advice would be greatfull.

Many thanks in advance,

Craig.

i wouldnt ride it but its your life!!! :?

if you have just bought it ring them up and tell them its fecked and get them to pick it up and sort it they was supposed to check it out :?

cheers for the replies guys.

Problem solved. I decided to do some male bonding with my bike!

Bought some paddock stands £45 front and rear with free workshop trolley seat from M and P.

Bought a pair of tensioners of ebay for £12.

All fixed in 30 mins and im no mechanical expert at any stretch of the imagination!

I did ride it with the faulty tensioner!

On re installing the rear wheel i had set the chain and took it for a spin but within minutes i knew that the chain was too tight. Back to the garage where i slackened the chain and all is now good. Rear wheel also seems in line too! Bargain!

Thanks again.

Ride safe.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...