First-time insurance claim? (Bennetts Insurance/4th D)

PeteSouthgate

I'm looking for some advice, the other day my bike was parked inside a motorcycle bay and a car reversed into my bike knocking it over. I didn't see the incident but the driver of the car kindly left me a note on my bike letting me know what had happened and their contact details.

The bike has quite a bit of cosmetic damage now to the side of it (scratches all over the side it fell on and then a little indent bump on the other side of the body where the contact was made).

When I got home I got in contact with the other driver and they passed me over their details and insurance policy details.

My next move was to call my insurer Bennetts, they went through preliminary questions and told me I'd be contacted by the claims team tomorrow for a more detailed follow-up. This afternoon I was contacted by 4th Dimension who underwrites on behalf of Bennetts (I think?) to question me about the incident. The rep from 4th Dimension then asked whether I'd like to claim on my policy or the other driver's; since I'm not at fault I decided to choose the other driver's policy.

After the phone call, I then had a little Google search for 4th Dimension and saw a whole array of 1-star reviews which has now led me to become very anxious about the situation - especially considering it's my first ever claim.

Has anyone gotten some advice on how I'm handling the situation thus far? Should I be doing anything further in the meantime?

Would be good to hear of any experiences with these companies...

TIA

Just read a few of those reviews :sad: Reminds me of stories I've read where some company bod encourages the claimant to claim for a whole load things - like a replacement bike - and then find out months later they have to pay for it all out of their own pockets, because it turns out they weren't entitled to it according to the policy's small print. Tread carefully. Sign nothing until you're confident what it means.

Do you know who 4th Dimension are representing - Your insurers, or the other person's? 

If you can, speak with their insurance company directly. Cut out the middle man so to speak. 

They might send an assessor out to inspect the damage, but unlikely. They then authorise the repairs and jobs done.

It's too late now but from past experience it's often better to go through the other person's insurance if they're admitting liability. It saves your insurance getting involved.

We had two incidents in a year where lorries went into the back of my wife's car (on the same roundabout both times). The damage was minor but still several hundred pounds to fix. They paid the bill directly to the bodyshop . 

As said already, check everything carefully before making any commitments.

4th dimension were used when I had an accident. Devitt were the brokers who arranged 4D. 3rd party admitted liability and bike was sorted within a couple of weeks, however getting damages to be paid for helmet gloves etc was a pain as the 3rd party was playing a game of rejecting the claim (3rd parties insurance was based in Eire). 
I did have to resort to very strong phone calls and emails to 4D and was given a new case handler who then managed to make progress. 
A uk based agent for the 3rd parties contacted me an said he could sort the bike side out as liability had been admitted but he could not act for me in regards to injury claims and loss of equipment due to conflict of interest so had to use my insurance provide “loss adjuster”. 
3rd party finally paid everything my insurance paid nothing but I had to badger 4D.

however as you did not suffer injuries or loss (helmet, gloves etc) should be ok. Do not be afraid to chase 4D if you thing things are not moving quick though.

• Like 2

I've been though a claim with 4th Dimension and the bike came back immaculate, it looked better then when I bought it (2nd hand). 

I tend to take reviews on line with a pinch of salt. Companies like 4d are huge and they handle a lot of claims so they are bound to have things go wrong. People who are involved with things that go wrong are annoyed so look to vent any way they can and poor reviews get left. Whereas people who are happy tend to ignore the option to leave a review, I know I'm guilty of it.

I'm sure you'll be fine. 

• Like 3