Customising/painting a Motorbike Helmet?

Hello all. Just curious if it's legal to customise a helmet? I wanted to buy a plain white helmet and then paint it up myself. I supposed I'd have to at least sand off the shiny layer in order for paint to adhere and use a primer, followed by design and then lacquer. But I'm sure I read somewhere as soon as you touch the paint it degrades the protectiveness of the helmet. 

Is this true? Or is there a certain way you are allowed to do it?

Not sure about the legality?  Although I do know of a few people who have had them done.  Having it done professionally isn't cheap.  The correct paints and adhesives need to be used to prevent degradation of the helmet material.  I believe the paints etc have to be solvent free for starters?  I'm sure there'll be someone on here more knowledgeable on the subject than me.  I personally prefer to leave my helmet as stock.  After having a spill myself and seeing the sort of impact the helmet can take, I just wouldn't like to think I've done anything to potentially weaken it's integrity, personal choice though.  Have a look at this on Wiki, may give some information for starters.  https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Helmets

If this can do it

https://imagedesigncustom.co.uk/about/our-process

I do not see why it would be a problem. A light sand and then layers of paint are not going to weaken the structure of a helmet. A photo on their site shows a tin of urethane base coat, so start there.

3 hours ago, Throttled said:

If this can do it

https://imagedesigncustom.co.uk/about/our-process

I do not see why it would be a problem. A light sand and then layers of paint are not going to weaken the structure of a helmet. A photo on their site shows a tin of urethane base coat, so start there.

I was hoping to find spray paints I could use initially as I don't have an airbrush. And then hand paint other stuff on. Il do some more research 🙂