ground anchor...

I've been looking at ground anchors online, they look pretty simple, so I was thinking I might make one. I was thinking of mounting it using anchor bolts like the ones that come with the proper ones. the only problem i can see is that a tea leaf could just unbolt it?

I was thinking of welding the bolts to the anchor once its tighened down, anybody got any better ideas, apart from 'just go and buy once you cheap bar-steward!'

heres mine

its a solid peice of 10mm thick steel about 8 inch long 2 holes drilled in the bottom as you can see

you bolt to the floor with rawl bolts with alan key head then get some ball bearings that are slightly bigger then the alan key holes and hammer them in the top of the bolts to stop them been drilled

and when you slot your chain through they cant get in anyway as the chain is in the way :D

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/stu_m_photos/03082008008.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/stu_m_photos/03082008007.jpg

nice idea! mine was a bit rubbish i was gonna use a similar piece of steel to yours, but weld a plate to the bottom and bolt it through that. but i think im gonna copy yours!

cheers

Jimmy

i got the oxford brute force anchor

£13.49 from ebay

uses a 16mm drill bit to drill 7.5cm deep holes then use allen key to screw the bolts in then hammer ball bearing into the allen key hole so it cant be undone.

quite simple to do, looks a good deterrent.

made mine today, its more like my origonal idea though i couldnt see any box section at work, so i welded a plate to a piece of channel. its about 6mm thick so should be ok. I had to put the holes on the out side so i'll use the allen bolt and ball bearing idea or just mash up the heads of normal bolts.

i was thinking insead of using the ball bearing in the allen bolt you could just drill it to mash it up.

thanks for the help! :D

Guest philgale

my bro tried to undo his old ground anchor at his old house and even with the bolts in tact he couldnt get them out as they expanded into the concrete which made it impossible....

so i got him a new one for him bday.....

mine is a D lock concreted in the floor with the lock part under the concrete! simple :D

hehe, sweet idea mate, never thought of that!

also they say its best to place the anchor as close to a wall as possible

d lock is good but i think the pic above of the steel box section is better, only thing i would change on that would be , dig the hole where you putting it , put concrete mix in 4 inches short of the top of hole, assemble bolts in the holes , set into concrete and then top up the concrete so all the bolts are under the concrete so you cant drill em , want to take the bike your gonna have to do a lot of smashing concrete to do it and that means noise

d lock is good , but i think the box section is better, would put the box section 4 inches under the concrete though so bolts are under there aswell,

dig your hole fill with concrete mix , assemble bolts in box section put in place and then top up the hole with rest of mix so its level with the ground.

no bolts = no cutting but you can allways smash the concrete but that means lots of noise and time