Motorcycle jacket for tall athletic male

Hi all, I'm currently doing lessons and have acquired all the kit I need except a motorcycle jacket as I am struggling with sizing.

I am 6'6" athletic build, 46" chest (which is the largest measurement from their to my waist, which is 36"). I struggle with clothes normally due to my long arms (I have measured 25" from the base of my armpits to my wrist) and a long back (measuring around 27" from the base of my neck to my belt line). 

I was wondering if there are any riders on here who are of similar dimensions to myself, or anyone for that matter, who could offer some potential options - I purchased RST S-1 Sport CE Leather Trousers in 36" L and they fit well, so I was hoping to stick with RST as that's also what all the rest of my clothing is, but if I have to mismatch so be it.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Timmy

Yes. This was one of the reasons I went for Rukka. Though there are alternatives. It’s really in your best interests to travel to a larger store and try on. It’s often the case that mixing and matching is the only way forward when you fall outside of “average” - I’m 6’7 in my boots. 36W 46Ch. And have fairly long arms. My usual problem is finding jackets to fit that aren’t aimed at the obese. Or with arms that are long enough when in the riding position. My Rukka Jacket works well for me in that regard. My problem is finding something for hot weather that fits as well.

7 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Yes. This was one of the reasons I went for Rukka. Though there are alternatives. It’s really in your best interests to travel to a larger store and try on. It’s often the case that mixing and matching is the only way forward when you fall outside of “average” - I’m 6’7 in my boots. 36W 46Ch. And have fairly long arms. My usual problem is finding jackets to fit that aren’t aimed at the obese. Or with arms that are long enough when in the riding position. My Rukka Jacket works well for me in that regard. My problem is finding something for hot weather that fits as well.

Thank you for this. I will have a search now and see if there are any local stores in my local area who stock them. Yes, unfortunately there don't seem to be a lot of options for people with builds like ourselves - as you say, most jackets go out instead of down when you get to larger sizes and unfortunately are like wearing a bin bag and still have short sleeves! Did you go for a rukka leather jacket or textile?

I have long arms and find that an issue. Revit fits generally well for me but I'm only 6ft tall. If you can get to somewhere like sportsbikeshop they should have plenty of stuff to try. Other option is hideout leathers who custom make textiles and leathers, but not likely to be cheap.

12 minutes ago, goat said:

I have long arms and find that an issue. Revit fits generally well for me but I'm only 6ft tall. If you can get to somewhere like sportsbikeshop they should have plenty of stuff to try. Other option is hideout leathers who custom make textiles and leathers, but not likely to be cheap.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at Revit. Unfortunately Leeds is the closest Sportsbikeshop to me and it's a 2 hour drive each way but if needs must I will take a trip down. May just have to order one and hope for the best and send it back if it doesn't fit!

Sportsbikeshop are first class about online returns. Just keep the labels on, they will have pretty much anything back.

Gloves are a problem for me. First time I bought gloves from them I must have had 8 pairs before I found one to fit. Now I'm reluctant to use anyone else. 

• Like 1

Rev’it is a Dutch brand and they have the tallest men in Europe, on average. So one would think they would cater for this demographic.

you can usually tell the better brands as they will offer trousers in more than one keg length. I think it becomes more problematic when you are looking at bike gear aimed at sports bike riders. Touring gear generally works best for me. When looking at jackets, longer body length with some sort of belt system in place is a good place to start. But. With all that said you might still have to compromise.

I don’t wear leather on the bike as it’s impractical for my purposes. Rukka did at one time produce leather gear with a goretex laminate fixed inner. But they were horrendously expensive, even by their standards and were only available for a year or so.

just off the top of my head. Brands that are designed in Northern Europe seem to do best for tall men. Held. Halvessons. Dane. Buse. And there are others. Plus Klim, which is American. And the others you mention. I’m personally looking at a British brand - Merlin, for a vented summer jacket.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

For anyone who has been following this thread, I purchased the RST Pro Series Paragon 6 CE Textile Jacket in size 2XL. 

It arrived today and fits well despite my awkward sizing, it also has enough adjustables on it to tighten it in around the arms, chest and stomach area and therefore does not look bad at all.

Seems like a great quality jacket which I look forward to getting the use of!