Exhaust Flap Valve

manxie49

Just after a bit of advice.  The Exhaust flap valve on my bike has stuck.  I've took the silencer off and tried to free the valve, cleaned it out with WD40 and applied graphite grease, but it aint gonna budge.  The valve has stuck in the open position.  When I turn the ignition on I can see it trying it's best to move, and complete its self check, but its having none of it. If my understanding is right, can I just ignore it, disconnect it, and get someone with a code reader to just clear the fault code off, which has lit up on the TFT??  I believe the flap valve was designed purely to help lower emissions and lower RPM??  This is the second time its got stuck.  I managed to free it last time and have maintained it with graphite powder and grease, it just doesn't want to play the game this time though.  I attached a photo below, not of my bike though, just one I blagged so you know what I'm talking about, this however is the exact position that my flapper valve is currently in.  Cheers.

IMG_0212.jpeg

Is this on the BMW? if so its a common issue 

I would forget about trying to free it up and get it working as it will only go again and it will just piss you off trying to sort it! 

Instead buy an exhaust servo eliminator from healtech and fit that then get the code cleared it was the best £40 well spent on mine 

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese/

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Is this on the BMW? if so its a common issue 

I would forget about trying to free it up and get it working as it will only go again and it will just piss you off trying to sort it! 

Instead buy an exhaust servo eliminator from healtech and fit that then get the code cleared it was the best £40 well spent on mine 

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese/

Thanks Stu, yes this is on my Beamer.  Its the 2nd time its gone tits up on me, pain in the proverbial.  I'm going to have a look at the servo eliminator, however, I ran it yesterday and today with the flapper valve stuck open, without any issues can that I've come across.  I've disconnected the wires that link to servo unit on top.  I still have a warning light illuminated on the TFT, but if I got that cleared would it not just be OK to run it with flap valve stuck open?  Or will the dash warning light just keep coming back on?  Cheers

The dash warning light will keep coming back on 

Although I think just disconnecting the cables and leaving the motor there may work! 

You just don't want to be paying twice to have the code cleared if it doesn't work 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

The dash warning light will keep coming back on 

Although I think just disconnecting the cables and leaving the motor there may work! 

You just don't want to be paying twice to have the code cleared if it doesn't work 

Thanks Stu.  I decided to buy one of those ES Eliminators, there not that expensive in the big scheme of things, and seem pretty easy to fit.  May as well do the job properly, save a bit of money in the long run 👍

• Like 1